The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what the bottle says, but we have an emergency with a kid and a bottle of bovi sera that we opened about 5 days ago.
Has been refrigerated since we drew up last shot.
Will it do more harm than good if we use it now?
Thanks so much and please respond quickly!
Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dangers?

Manufacturers website and the bottle both say to use contents after opening, but don't tell what the hazards are if you don't. Just want to find out if this is a simple liability statement or if there is a serious danger with using after being opened for several days.
Thanks for the quick response...

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
CD&T vaccines say that too , but i have used it months afterwards and have had no ill effects. I really feel it would be fine to use as long as its not expired too long and you've followed proper handling methods.
Can i ask what the emergency is ? Maybe we can help…..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kid going down fast...

We had a kid born 6 days ago that has been going strong until this morning. We heard slight congestion a couple days ago, but no other symptoms. It appears to have developed into full blown pneumonia.
We have innoculated with 1/2 cc of penicillin progaine G about 4 hours ago, but wanted to know if we could use the Bovi Sera as an added boost.
He's become listless and hasn't eaten since this morning.
I'm open for suggestions...
Thanks.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Oh wow , sorry :( We need a temp first… very important to keep baby warm. You may need to bring baby in if possible and cover up with a blanket , use a blowdryer to create a tent with the warm air , don't blow directly on baby , just above to create a warm air tent.
Get the temp , we need that immediately though….

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Temperature

Temperature is 102.5 according to digital thermometer.
Should we administer the Bovi Sera or will it help with this?

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Normal temp is 101.5 - 103.5 so thats good.
Baby needs a pick me up….have you any strong black coffee ?
Or molasses ? I haven't any experience with Bovi Sera. I do have it , but never used it. Has baby had any milk at all ? Do you know how to tube feed ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do have coffee, molasses, no jump start...
Just need to know if the Bovi Sera is safe for use after having been opened and if it will help with lung congestion.
Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Bova Sera can be used after the initial use, it's fine. I would go ahead and give him some, I'd give 3cc SQ.
I would also give him some B-complex. Keep him on antibiotics for at least 5 days if not longer, even if he does recover sooner. You'll want to give him some probiotics too, either from the probios paste or powder, or some yogurt, since the antibiotics will kill off the good bacteria in his gut. His temp is normal, so that's good. Try and get him to eat something from a bottle, milk, or electrolytes or a mix of both.
You can also give him a drench to provide energy as well, mix one part of molasses, one part corn syrup, and one part corn oil. Add a bit of water if you need, to make it easier to mix and drench.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks so much for your responses!
The kid has been bottle fed since the second day - had problems with the new mother taking to them.
Thanks again. We'll try this and report back on progress/symptoms.

·
8,105 Posts
Bovi-Sera kind of jump starts their immune system. If you use a clean needle
every time you poke the bottle and store it in the 'fridge, it will be fine. I buy the big
bottles and use them as needed. I do wipe the top with alcohol after I use it, let the
alcohol evaporate then set a clean plastic baggie on top, just to keep anything off the
top of the bottle in the fridge.

I hope your baby gets better quickly!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! That's a relief! We have a large bottle as well and thought we would have used it on the whole herd at once, but it didn't work out that way...Thanks again for the confirmation!
Mark
Henry's Haven Farm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Doing much better!

Thanks to all who posted back. It looks as if he's on the road to recovery.
We'll continue the inoculations for the next 4 days and see how it goes.
One other question - Should we do additional doses of the Bovi Sera at the same amount? or just the penicillin?
Thanks again,
Mark
Henry's Haven Farm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts