The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to goats and kids! My doe just had a little buckling. About 2 months ago she was attacked by a dog and hasn’t been the same since in the sense of eating much and consuming her minerals. My little buckling is bow-legged and struggling with walking and idk how to help! I have read so many different things online on what to do I am just lost! I’ve read to get selenium and vit e gel since I can’t get BoSe, as well as vitamins A, B and D. I’ve read about bracing but the braces I’ve seen are more for the leg when I feel his issue is with his shoulders! Help please!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Hi! I am new to goats and kids! My doe just had a little buckling. About 2 months ago she was attacked by a dog and hasn't been the same since in the sense of eating much and consuming her minerals. My little buckling is bow-legged and struggling with walking and idk how to help! I have read so many different things online on what to do I am just lost! I've read to get selenium and vit e gel since I can't get BoSe, as well as vitamins A, B and D. I've read about bracing but the braces I've seen are more for the leg when I feel his issue is with his shoulders! Help please!
Yep def selenium! Since the dam is not licking mineral another way to get it in her is replamin gel. You can give that to the kid too.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
I would also give A&D or Cod liver oil...maybe rickets

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Yes..I do one gel cap..poke a hole and squish in his mouth when we just need a bit of support. With him being pretty bad I would do full treatment
Dose for treatment is 0.1 cc per 2.2 pounds given 2 times a day for 3 days then twice a week for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes..I do one gel cap..poke a hole and squish in his mouth when we just need a bit of support. With him being pretty bad I would do full treatment
Dose for treatment is 0.1 cc per 2.2 pounds given 2 times a day for 3 days then twice a week for 2 weeks.
Thank you so much! I feel so lost and helpless and it breaks my heart.

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
You're doing great. Just breath :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He definitely needs selenium.
Thank you for your help! He's slowly getting stronger and standing upright but gets tired and reverts. Looking better though! How long do you usually give selenium gel for? I looked up dosage but haven't been able to find much on how long.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
which selenium are you giving? most are only once per month or less
It's the durvet selenium and vit E gel from my local feed store. I had talked with someone that said for the first 3 days like the cod oil but not the full dose so that what I did; about a third of the dose for the first 3 days. Just don't know if it's enough or how to maintain it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts