Boxers and goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by logansmommy7, Mar 23, 2010.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    So I may be getting a boxer as a sort of rescue from my sister. She is four months old and as soon as my sis gets a job she will likely be deployed as a contractor for at least a year. I told her we would take her (no promises on giveing her back) but was wondering if anyone has experience with this breed of dog and goats/chickens. She is trainable at this age-so hopefully my sis will go ahead and get a job so we can train her....thoughts?? :whatgoat:

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I wouldn't trust her alone with them.... the hunt instinct would be too strong but with proper training she should be fine while you are monitoring her with them.

3. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I would not trust any pet dog alone until they where over 3 yrs and showed them selfs to be trustworthy.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I had a boxer mix and she was a chicken chaser. It's a hunting dog insctinc. But all dogs are different, nonetheless I wouldnt leave her alone with them

5. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Most boxers I've met have had a pretty strong prey drive. And unfortunately it's a hunt type of prey drive... not a retrieve or herd type (which is annoying but gentler on the stock)... which is why I ended up with an Aussie... BUT, that said, any dog is trainable and I've met terriers (bred to hunt) who are gentle as lambs with chickens! So I think a lot of it has to do with what type of trainer you are and how much time you're willing to spend teaching the dog right from wrong.

6. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    It can work. Our boxer will try to nurse baby goats.

BUT she will chase chickens. Not out of meanness, but wanting to play. And she can kill them accidentally.

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have Mastiff / Pyrenese crosses that do great with the goats - however, I would never trust them without me out there. They have killed one chicken and injured another - however they weren't torn - so I am thinking it was just because they were trying to play because it was running.

8. Rainbow Meadows Farm

Rainbow Meadows Farm New Member

May 26, 2009
    New Hampshire
    It depends on the dog and training. I have 7 dogs that I have rescued. Mostly Boxers. My 9 yr old boy is allowed to walk anywhere on the farm as he will not hurt anything. But my 13 yr old female likes to chase things so we have to watch her.
    All my dogs are trained to stop on command. We have had all of them from puppyhood. So they can be trained. But I have to agree that they do have a prey instinct. Watch closely.....

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If there is any way.... to take her for 1 week or 2 and see how things go...before you decide... if she is going to work.... :hug: