The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LOL so this afternoon we are getting ready to leave, I had the kids go feed the goats. I asked my son where his little buck was at, and he said he was in the barn with another doe because she's in heat.

I told him to get them out of the barn, I had to see this lol

Sure enough he was right behind the doe. It was pretty hysterical, he was acting all macho and blubbering/pawing at her, and saw him try to jump her a couple of times.

What's so funny is... he'll be 3mo this weekend LOL He's a fullblood boer buckling, the doe is Nubian/boer. He's about half her size, and I don't see him being able to reach her at all.

I really wish I had my camera lol We've never kept a buckling this long, so this has been pretty amusing to watch. Of course I do wish he could breed, then we wouldn't have to buy or lease a buck for breeding!

Anyway...the heat is on! Wonder who will be next. I guess the little guy will let us know lol

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
HA! :ROFL: These little guys are so funny sometimes! We had a buckling do it at a few hours old. He was super macho. What was funny, though, was that his sire wasn't at all attracted to goats, and it took us 4 months to finally get him to jump the dam.

But be careful... Just when you think that he can't possibly reach...

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Bucks can breed that young, they just aren't too fertile just yet, but can breed does.
You could always put him up on a bale of hay or straw so he can reach, that way you can get your does bred without paying for a buck service.

·
14,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol Thanks, yep he's a stinker. At least he knows what to do with the does....haha... When we bought his sire, he was 5mo and one of the does 'his size' <he was a hefty boy> came in heat and he could have cared less, the doe was all over him. My husband finally had to stick his nose back there and make him take a whiff and help him understand what he had to do LOL
He bred that doe, but couldn't reach the others, we had to have him stand on a pallet to reach them lol

He can breed any of the does in the pen he wants except for his dam. But I just honestly don't see it happening, he's just not tall enough yet, a bale of hay or straw is a great idea, but I think I won't interfere until next month since we really don't want any babies earlier than mid January.
If he proves determined, then we'll try to use him vs. another buck :)

Oh one part I left out is...the doe was walking pretty much the entire time he was doing this, then she just casually stops and butts him away <she's hornless besides a stub lol>. Oh, her 6mo wethers were in the pen at the time, and although they don't bother her, they like to hang out with mom, so she had 3 boys following her at one point. Silly critters. It will be interesting to see if she is in standing heat tomorrow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts