boy was this a shock to me!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by alyssa_romine, Jan 21, 2008.

1. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I was working Friday night and I get a call from my husband asking me how to feed the goats....I thought why in the world does he want to know how to feed the goats.. He fed them and came to pick me up. Last night he went out to the barn with me and fed the goats again! Mind oyu, this is a man who "doesn't do goats"!!! I was absolutely speechless when he dipped up grain and hay and fed everyone!!!! Am I rubbing off on him????

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

LOl Alyssa, you may have a "keeper" I dated a guy for awhile that started out not liking my goats, but when babies were born that first he was hooked. he claimed on little doe kid as "his" he named her spot and she went everywhere with him. Ended up being a spoiled rotten fence jumper. After awhile he would help me out with the chores and such. We even worked out a schedule when i was working twelve hour shifts as a flagger, he did the morning milking so i could sleep in a bit. At shows he would help me do last minute groomings and be my runner, bringing animals to and from the ring for me. i even caught him clipping and bathing one time when i came home from work...
    Its nice to have someone out in the barn to talk to and do chores with.
    beth

3. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I agree. My husband has shown a goat in FFA when he was younger but since then, he wanted nothing to do with goats. He has bought me 2 goats and helps a little with barn chores and things. He bought me my stand for Christmas. He also loves the kids when they arrive too. This last kidding, he was standing outside the stall saying come on push baby push!!!! He hasn't missed a kidding yet. I know he likes them and he says that he will get more involved after we get our house done and get my barn and goats moved onto our land. He said that he won't be involved until then...looks like he may be more involved sooner than he thought....

4. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    LOL That is so great Alyssa! That is gonna have to be a requirement when I get married.. lol! That and I am not cooking. Hehe.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    now that sure is cool, wish someone around here would just offer to do that for me!

6. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I told him that I was talking about him on here and he just laughed.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well you certainly have a good one there Alyssa! Mine will feed if he has to but as far as milking goes, he doesn't even want to learn! I just started to unload the hay I got last night and he came out to help finish, was very nice of him as I usually load and unload. It sometimes helps to get the extra hands, especially around kidding time.

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    My boyfriend loves the goats.He shows with me to!

9. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    That is awesome Sara!

Liz, my hubby does the hay by himself and I help him if I won't be in the way. I don't milk my goats but I have thought about it. I know he wouldn't do that either. He loves to build stuff so he has built me a shelf for my barn and a feed box....also the barn was built by him too. He does help out with building but the other chores aren't his thing.

10. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    I have to brag about my husband as he has been very supportive with all my animals. He built a barn at our last house, the first barn I ever had in my life. He has put up a buck proof pen with 4x4's and poured concrete around each post. Then we move into the house I grew up in as my mom is no longer able to care for the house so we put a manufactured home on the place for her to live in. Now I only have the old goat sheds. My husband has been talking about building some more sheds for hay storage and areas to feed the animals. He is always willing to go on a goat adventure to look at goats. He hauls the ton of hay we buy and stacks it his garage. He uses his tractor to take it up the hill to the goats. Now he is going to build me a milk stand this spring. We try to support each other in our hobbies. He is a keeper!!
    Sue

11. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    my husband takes me to look at goats also and lets me get whatever goat I want and hasn't complained that I spent $450 on a blue eyed doe or about how many bucks I have had in the past. We don't own a tractor but he does haul all the hay and stuff for the goats. He built me a goat trailer from scratch last year and still has more plans for it. We are eventually going to start a meat goat business and sell goats for meat....we don't have our house done yet so that is what is holding us up.

I asked him last night if I was rubbing off on him and he said that I was!!!!!

Sue I think you have a keeper...

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Now - the true test is if your man will let you keep goats in the house! LOL!

Hubby said not in our bathroom - but he made a big area downstairs for them!!! hehehe!

13. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    We have had baby goats in the house. Would let them loose to play. Let them jump up and down off the couch. At that point they were ready to become "big" goats. My husband is acutally "softer and kinder" then I am at times. Like he tells me I don't really know what goes on when I'm not home and it probably best not to know!
    Sue

14. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    hehe! We live with his parents right now so I can't bring any animals into the house....hubby won't have a say in it after we move into our own house....he will just have to get used to it.....hehe

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
  16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have a great hubby. He always feed if my daughter or I are going to be home late. He does it with out us even asking.
    He was telling me a while ago that he was tired of us having to deal with the darn hose freezing in the winter, so he would put automatic waterer's, in over the summer. "Who am I to argue with him :shrug: :scratch: ". I guess we will see.
    I does come to some shows wit u s, but we like him to stay in the back ground. He tries tot help mu daughter not stress out so much, but it makes it even worse. So he just sits in the stands and watches. :greengrin:

17. alyssa_romine

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    that's funny. I haven't been to a show yet but I have been to the fair and my hubby didn't come until he had to bring me clothes and come to get us.....silly man! He is so much better now than he used to be.

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Just remember, all training takes time. :leap: :cool:

19. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    My dad takes care of the gots too when we are gone. And he helps us clean the barn! Except he feeds about twice as much as we do, so the goaties get round as a barrel when he feeds them :p

20. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

LOl ok im going to start throwing a it, all you guys are so lucky! I have very few friends that i can even talk goats with, maybe thats whjy i spend so much time here. I only have one good friend here that i can talk goats with. Im going over to her house this afternoon to play with babies as i don't have any of my own. I gotta find me a boyfriend thats good with construction and likes goats! Or is that just asking way too much???
    lol
    beth