Boys needing to add weight.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by liz, Oct 30, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My 3 bucks are a bit lean to me...granted they are in rut, but under all that hair they seem "skinny"....They each get a cup of 18% once a day and have mixed grass hay freechoice as well as loose minerals.....is there something I can feed tem to boost weight but not compromise the urinary system? They are wormed regularly eyelids are nice and deep pink, would switching over to a "meat goat" type feed help at all?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i hear that the protien blocks work good.

3. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    A goat friend told me to try beet pulp soaked in water for my girl who has weight issues.

That said, I've noticed my buckling is barely eating also.. he's not thin, but definitely makes my girls look like they each swallowed a beach ball!

Meghan

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    During breeding season our buck gets at least 1.5 cups of grain, usually two cups. Probably increasing their grain a bit would do wonders. Your grain sounds like it is definitely high enough in protein already. Maybe try a protein block too. Most of ours goats eat the block like candy. ;)

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Upping the grain contradicts everything I've read and heard about urinary calculi....maybe I'll try that protein block. Thanks all

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
  7. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    hhhhmmmm...... I don't know how it would affect their urinary system... but BOSS helps to put weight on goats.

8. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Upping the grain really has nothing to do with urinary calculi, providing the calcium to phosphorus ratio is correct.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Brandi I was going to say the same thing. Add a 1/2-a cup of BOSS to their ration, it works great