The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters wether,who is 98 lbs, refuses to brace. My daughter is 80lbs. She can get him up, but he wont push against her. We tried walking him backward and even backing him into a wall. does anyone have any advise for a small kid with a big goat.

·
166 Posts
You need to pick up his front end and run him back wards,Also you can run him into a puddle which always helps because he will jerk forward because goats hate water. Because she is so small I reccomend you set his toes on her toes and have her brace him like that becuase the goat will be at an angle so he will look like her is bracing even when he isnt :) Here is a picture of what I meant with the bracing I hope this helps!! Good Luck!!

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
This is also where we bigger parents get involved, as we can strongarm a big wether better than a little girl! We have had the same issue more than once!

I have done as FarmerFreak says and lift their front end and practically run them backwards until they push back! When they are 98 lbs., it takes an adult. But, it works.... My daughter is currently doing that with her 4 month old wethers.

Also, the Judges usually aren't hard on the little kids on this issue - they get it.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Try and teach him to brace with out her putting them on her toes. That's why you have to start when their younger.
Using her toes will not only hurt her toes but what about if he runs fwd? She won't even have a single chance of stopping him because she can't brace her feet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advise, we'll try the puddle and foot ways. Some times I think that this wether is just too friendly, he does everything else that you ask him to and never really puts up any resistance. Can a goat be too nice?lol

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Yes but they figure it out.
Just have her push him back.
Or else their gonna learn that they only brace when they are being picked up.
It would be easier for her to just shove him back.
Have her back him into a puddle or fince with out picking him up.
Or put his back feet in a water bucket and then have her push.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts