Brady has a runny nose-uh-oh

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by heathersboers, Jan 6, 2010.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Brady is the buck in my sig-he is 1 year old now. I went out to feed and his nose is crusty-he usually meets me at the feeder, but didnt -I went in the pen and he finally came over and nibbled a bit, and te some hay- Lord I hope this is just a cold!! he has plenty of shelter, but it has been 17* lately with a windchill of 5*...He usually is pretty spunky-

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Can you get a temp on him?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree ...get a temp first ...then you will know..... if you should start Brady ...on antibiotics... :hug:

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yep, take his temp. If it is not high, I would just give him some nutridrench (if you have it) and maybe a couple human B-complex vitamins to help his appetite and energy level...just wrap them in a piece of bread and he'll think he's getting a treat.

5. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Is he in with any other goats? You may want to keep him "quarantined" just in case it's anything that can spread.

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am no expert, but when I was dealing with pneumonia in one of my wethers last spring it was suggested to me to give him and the others chewable Vit C to boost immune system......I gave them all about 1500mg's every day, 3 chewables and they love them! I still give them from time to time.

7. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oops.....I forgot to add that I also gave him childrens benydrel.....it helped with his runny nose and coughing, my baby had the worse cough!

8. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Temp is 104- he is eating and drinking- that is a good thing- he wants to stay in the barn...gave him nutra-drench- he hated it-then licked his lips :p -One of my does that are due now also has a crusty nose- she is acting fine though...

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Temp is high for it being as cold out there as it is. Starting him on an antibiotic and probiotics could be best , keep a check on his temp.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree with Liz....definitely.... start him on antibiotics...
    You caught it early... if he still has an appetite.... :hug:

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I gave him some Probios-he is eating better than yesterday-

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    With a temp of 104 I'd start him on LA-200.

13. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Re: Brady has a runny nose-UPDATE- GOAT POLIO

OK Brady has been going in circles and walking through the electric fence-he acts half blind-I went to check his gums and his jaws are locked- he fell down and had a siezure and threw his head back---made a trip to the vet while ago and got some thiamine-gave him 5cc of it and we have to do it every 3 hours-he is up now after the seizure, and going around the kennel I put him in. Lord I hope he pulls through-they say it was caught in time, but very hard to pull a goat through. His grandsire died of the same thing- The vet said it can be hereditary.... Pray for him y'all!!! On the good side-we did have twins born this morning- buck and doe-they are doing fine so far....They are on this page.http://www.whiteoakboergoats.net/kiddingschedulewinter.htm

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats ...on the new little ones ...they are cute.... :lovey:

I will pray for Brady.... :pray: wow... that must of been horrible... to see him ..go down like that.... glad you caught it early at least he has a real good chance to beat this thing... my heart is with you.. :hug:

15. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

oh my goodness! At least you were there & able to bring him into the vet on time & they were able to diagnose & treat!! I hope everything works out fine! Will you keep using him as a breeding buck in the future if this has a chance of being genetic??
    Congrats on the twins--you've had a busy day!!

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    busy day indead!

seems like a bad time of year for Polio and Literiousis (sp?)

I hope he makes it for you :hug:

17. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Ive done all I can do- he is laying down and kicking like he is running- we have been giving him thiamine-but he's no better.. I expect to be burying him tomorrow morning... The vet did tell us it was very slim that he would make it... :(

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Give him Pen G 1cc per 10lbs now

19. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I gave him 8cc of penn. at about 3:00 pm-Im going out to give him another dose of thiamine and penn now...He just looks so helpless...My poor Bubby.... :(

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ