Braids ok in winter?

Discussion in 'Horses' started by Green Mountain Farm, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Green Mountain Farm

Green Mountain Farm Active Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Hello! I have a Haflinger that I’m hoping to show this year. I want to practice braiding his mane/forelock/tail but didn’t know if its safe to do this time of year in VA because it’s going to be cold. Do any of y’all still braid your horse’s hair even when it’s cold?

Also, anybody with showing experience mind sharing some tips/info? There doesn’t seem to be much on showing haflingers on the internet. He has arthritis in his back hocks. Is there any kind of showing that doesn’t require pulling carts?

Thanks!

2. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    Haflingers are such a beautiful breed!! They are one of my favorites.

I keep my horse's manes and tails banded pretty much full time, but they stay in a stall at night and if the weather is bad. The only concern I could think of would be if you had wet freezing weather and ice up there, but other than that, I think it should be fine.

I'm not familiar with showing Haflingers, but I'm sure they have halter classes for conformation, in hand obstacle, showmanship etc. Is he registered? You can look around for horse clubs near you and see if they have any shows you can go watch and lists of disciplines they have classes for. I know there are some clubs that have all breed open shows.

For his arthritis, you might try some apple cider vinegar. It works wonders.

Oh and do you have any pictures of him? I'm sure he's stunning!

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I have a haffy!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about the braiding, if he is fuzzy and has a winter coat it shouldn't affect him. And if he is blanketed and doesn't have his winter coat, you can braid and add a neck cover.

But I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I find that a good msm glucosamine supplement is great for my boy's arthritis. I use RecoveryEQ.

And as Morning Star Farm said, you can do showmanship.

Green Mountain Farm likes this.
  4. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Thanks!
    He’s not registered at the moment but I’ll look into it.
    What do you do with the apple cider vinegar?
    Again thanks for the info!

5. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    FB4D18E1-260E-4CBB-99C6-6C2DCC3BDC60.jpeg
    I don’t know why this didn’t load... but here’s the best picture I could find at the moment!

Morning Star Farm likes this.
  6. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Thanks for the input! I’ll look into the supplement! :)
    And he has a very thick winter coat at the moment and it hasn’t been freezing so I think we’re good! Thanks!

7. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    He is Beautiful!!

8. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    I feed the Apple cider vinegar to them in their water or feed, but some like it more concentrated as a treat. If you do offer it in water though, be sure they have a choice of water without it in case they don't need it.

9. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    He drinks from a creek that runs through our field. Do you think I could maybe make some treats with apple cider vinegar and maybe oats?

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  10. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Thank you! :)

11. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    You could try that, or you could offer some in a bucket of water and see if he wants any. They know what they need. All of my horses loved it and they weren't arthritic at all, but I did have some arthritic goats who absolutely craved it and it helped them immensely.

12. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Ok! How much do you give your horses in how much water?

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Couple tablespoons full. Use a small bucket, like 1-2 gallons of water. I honestly recommending just tossing the ACV with feed. Works better than water cause you know they’ll eat it.

14. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Thank you I will try that! I didn’t know there were natural things that help arthritis so thank so much! :)