Brainstorming for hay feeder ideas

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by 21goaties, Jun 26, 2019.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  2. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    I only have a horned Myotonic buck but he has no problem getting in there.

Here’s a thinking point, if they can manage to get their heads stuck in a cattle panel with 6”x6” holes, they can in and out of 6” high and feet wide gap.

Trollmor likes this.

3. Coolbreeze89

Coolbreeze89 Active Member

Mar 5, 2017
    I’m so excited! I saw this feeder at TSC but didn’t like the $220 price. I noticed it had quite a few dents on one side (structurally intact, just cosmetic). They gave it to me for $125. I needed something I could move around easily myself. This has been great!
    upload_2020-2-7_17-22-48.jpeg

4. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    That's what I thought too (for horned goats)

Trollmor and CBPitts like this.
  5. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    One of the facilities I toured before building this feeder raises show Boers. Massive goat bucks with thick necks and big horns. They had no problems with these feeders.

Trollmor likes this.
  6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I don’t think it would be as big of a problem. I have had them put their heads threw and get stuck, and it’s just the width that is really a issue, their horns don’t really get stuck on top and bottom rods (whatever they are called) it’s the side ones that’s a issue........at least for mine. But that’s why I want the long fence like and not like the ones that everyone gets their own little hole to stick their heads threw, plus I broken necks with those and key hole type feeders. But again I haven’t made these just yet, and I plan to make out if lumber so unscrewing a board and moving up or down isn’t a big deal.

7. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    Bump!
    Post a pic of your hay feeder(s)! :cute:

friesian49 and Trollmor like this.
  8. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    OK 21goaties, here is an ole redneck idea. Why not get an old pickup bed with axel and get a friend who can weld to make a frame and mount it on the bed so that it will tilt and attach a spear on the frame. Mount a trailer tongue to the bed/axel so it is pullable with the pickup. Have a hand crank winch attached to the tongue and the cable attached to the frame so you can crank it down and backwards into a tilt position. With trailer/spear combo hooked to the pickup. You can pushed the spear into the roll bale of hay with the pickup and then turn the handle on the winch and winch the round bale of hay backwards lifting it off the ground and into the air and you can then move the roll bale of hay where you want it. Let the winch down and release the bale and pull the spear out of the hay and put a panels around it. I have seen several of these portable round bale trailer with the spear made. I didn't do a good job describing it but I know it works. It a poor boy's round hay mover. But for one roll of hay at a time it sure the heck beats forking hay every day. That doesn't answer your question on feeders but should give you a cheap idea on handling roll hay.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm going to TSC in the next day or two and looking for banged/scratched up feeders - seriously lol!!!

Our neighbor sold out of sheep last fall and he gave us a bunch of random stuff including hay feeders, a few my husband convinced him to let us pay for. Super nice man who we have loved (recently lost him :'( ).
    So we have this one... my husband put the wood on there temporarily, but is not safe, babies can put head through the top and 2x4 is just too thick. So in the next couple of days I'll be going to TSC to get a goat panel for another project and planning to have him cut one to fix this to make a V and maybe some type of cover, although this is just a day time pen - if it's raining we can clean it out as these goats would go in the barn...
    [​IMG]

I really love these feeders that we got from him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd love to get more of those, but I know they are probably a lot of $$$ new.

I'd think as far as waste goes - going with anything that has a tray to catch hay would be better than no tray. I love the idea of having them eat through a fence, but we just don't have the setup for it.

We have a big V hay feeder in the doe shelter we bought used from a friend years ago, it has some goat wire fence on the inside of it to help with waste - what they drop is used for bedding, but still minimal waste. I don't know where i have a picture of it.

toth boer goats and 21goaties like this.
  11. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    Thanks for sharing that idea! We ended up building smaller ones and using square bales but I was just bumping the thread so that others could get ideas if they need them. :)

12. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Goats jump about double as high as sheep. But, of course everyone in here knows that!

toth boer goats likes this.
  13. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I tried the grill racks from old stoves, they break apart very easily. I use old metal cage type dog crates, I take the crate apart and put them on the cattle panel fence with zip ties, snaps or whatever i have. Those work well. Futon frames work, too. I take them apart and use the 2 that make up the part that holds up the mattress. I attach them at the bottom and make a wooden frame to cradle them. Or, I can use just half of it and attach the bottom part to the cattle panel and wire it at the top with fence wire from each end to the fence.

14. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    @fivemoremiles just curious, how are these feeders holding up now (if you still have them)?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  15. fivemoremiles

fivemoremiles Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    we use them every day. today i moved one to another pen with my tractor. I have had to make some minor repairs but i like them lots

16. Carmen in NC

Carmen in NC Active Member

i did not have time to make or get a better hay feeder so I ran to walmart and got 2 of this and is been working GREAT.. lol IMG_7487.JPG nothing fancy just a wire hamper, it works great with minimal waste...

17. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    Thanks for replying! :)
    Any repairs to the lids? We are still using tarps to cover ours but want to add lids.

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.
  18. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    I had a 60 mph wind take a lid off. as long as i remember to lock the lids before a blow they are fine

19. fivemoremiles

Jan 19, 2010
    western montana
    Have you seen the price of lumber?? up nearly 100% in a year. glad i am not building them now.
    I did build two sheep round bale hay feeders this year out of metal.