The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
salmonfisher77 said:
We have had our goats thick into bear country and had a bear walk near camp with the boys just watch him! No problems with bear in there pasture but the 2 coyotes and 1 botcat that met up with the brahma bull didnt fair so well! He is VERY protective of his 17 boys!
OK, you have me curious now...... How in the heck do you get a Brama Bull to protect your goats??

·
Registered
54 Posts
I will have my wife post some pics tonight! I just added 2 new Alpines to the herd! That makes 19 total! They nice folks that let me keep my goats there have alot of goats!!

Keeshna (the bull) probably wouldnt hike well as he is only friendly if you are holding a cattle prode! Loves to be brushed and scratched though!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Rex,

we bought two Devon cattle this spring to be trained as draft and pack cattle for the stuff that's too heavy for the goats like water wagon, all the mobile fences when we move to another pasture, etc.

It will take more training - hopefully only that because cattle are WAY different from goats - but maybe I can tell more next year :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
My grandmother told me that the oxen would protect the sheep and calves. I'd forgotten all about that until seeing this bull. Since the oxen were adult steers, who'd been raised in the lot with the sheep, and were turned out with them, I guess it makes sense.

Here the goats and the longhorns are turned out together, but they separate until they come in for the evening. They spend the night in the dry lot together.

Pretty cool thing to see. I wouldn't want to be the coyote or feral dog trying to snag goat from under the nose of your bull!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts