The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so as some of you might know right now I have 6 goats. 4 boers, 1 alpine, 1 mutely.

I screwed up, badly and didn't feed my Boer girls enough when I first got them. I won't be able to breed them this year.

Okay, my Kindergarden teacher ( who happens to be the mom of my little sisters best friend) small town. Anyways her sister (another one of my teachers) contacted me, she is ready to get out of the goat business.

She has 3 register able Nubians.

-1 buck, 2 does
-unrelated
-CD&T every year
-wormed regularly
- 3 years old
-she has owned since 2 months old
- she milks the does
-she said she paid $400 a piece (I believe her)
-she said she would sell them to me for $300 for all three.

waiting on pictures.

My question is would I still be able to register them? She said she has the paper work from when she bought them but never filled it out.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Friends in tiny towns... lol
She has 4 kids 9 and under. Teaches and her husband works crazy hours.. her kids do 4H, and lots of sports! She just has no time left, and knows I will give them a good home, and lots of loving. <even though I messed up with my babies, on the right track now though>

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
You won't know for sure if they could be registered or not until you see the papers yourself. I would suggest doing some studying on the website of whichever association they are going to be registered with- maybe take a look at the printable application for registration- so you will know what to look for. :) it helps a lot.You could ask her to send you a picture of their applications possibly.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have NEVER done anything with registration, so I literally have no idea what to "study", I am worried that it has been 3 years.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
You would have to know what is and isn't filled out on the paperwork. Would you buy the goats if you can't register them? Unless you see the paperwork and see that they are filled out and only missing buyer info, I would assume they are unregisterable.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I have NEVER done anything with registration, so I literally have no idea what to "study", I am worried that it has been 3 years.
It shouldn't matter how long it's been as long as the correct paperwork is filled out.
Ask which association they are to be registered with ( ADGA, AGS... I would suspect ADGA). Then you can go to the website and look at FAQS on registering and things like that. It's not as confusing as it seems at first.

You really should get them to send you a picture of each of the goats' applications so you can see if all the info is on there. There are some things that have to be on there for the goat to be registered such as both the dam and the sire's registered numbers, name of seller, name of buyer things like that.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
As long as the breeder has all of his/her info filled out you should be able to register them, it will just cost more than it would have if they had been registered as kids. $300 for all three is really cheap, even for unregistered. I would be asking how much the does milk and if they have ever been tested for CAE.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bubble has been busted.

She said she doesn't have their papers. ugghhh.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
$300 for 3 girls is still a great price if you don't mind them being unregistered. When it has been that long, I'm not surprised that the paperwork is gone.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
That's still a good price even un registered. Around here grade adult Nubian Does are always at least $200 in milk as much as $400 throw in paper you could be paying $600 easily for a doe in milk.
Are you still considering them or was that a deal breaker?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I misunderstood her... She has the two does mothers paper work, but never sent in for the daughters (the two does I am looking at) so I don't think they can be registered but idk....

It is 2 girls and 2 buck... unrelated (does and buck) so they are a breeding set. Its not a deal breaker.. I was just hoping to get registered.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
If mom is actually registered and she can get a service memo for the buck or has the buck papers, then the doelings can be registered. But if you don't mind their registration status, it really doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i am doing the sme thing to get a doe registered. if the mother is registered or even registerable get the service memos and register every body. you can always register the the does as noa. what's the status on the buck's registration?

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think she has any info on the does dad. IDK about her buck, guess I need to ask lol

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
I guess the big question is, how badly do you want registered goats? The package you were offered is extremely good registered or not. But if you really want registered goats, it may be easier to purchase from someone who has a registered herd and can prove it.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
My question is would I still be able to register them? She said she has the paper work from when she bought them but never filled it out.
What is the big deal on registering them? That piece of paper doesn't mean they are better goats, it doesn't make them better mothers, it is nothing but a piece of paper. Anyone who knows anything about goats knows that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
What is the big deal on registering them? That piece of paper doesn't mean they are better goats, it doesn't make them better mothers, it is nothing but a piece of paper. Anyone who knows anything about goats knows that.
Most of the time they are worth more, you can find their ancestors, you can show them and if they do good their kid prices sky rocket. And so much more. I dont think thats its just a piece of paper, its an important piece of paper in my herd. And all of the goats except for my familys pets are required to have papers for us to do anything with them. Everyone has there opinions on registering or not but for me and alot of people they like their goats registered. Some people just want nice family milkers and thats great too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts