BRAND NEW FIRST TIME GOAT OWNER

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kathyg, Jul 28, 2009.

1. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I am getting 1 (or 2) female pygmy goats. I have loads of questions to ask and when you have answered those :leap: I'm sure I will have loads more. I look forward to having you experienced goat people help me in my new goat keeping capacity. Thankyou.

I have a large garden. No extra land, but totally surrounded by fields (not ours). I wanted a goat as a pet. I have seen a 3 year old female and am going to see a baby female goat this Saturday. We have a shed 8' x 5' and OH is going to fence off and slab part of the covered run. We aleady get bales of good hay for the chickens. My goat books are already ordered and on their way :coffee2:

1. What do you feed the adult / baby goats on ?

2. Would the baby / adult get on okay ?

3. Would a movable pen around the garden be okay for them ?

4. Will they smell a lot ?

5. Will they make a lot of noise ?

6. Can they go out in winter or do they stay in the shed ?

7. Chickens put themselves away at night, do goats do the same and go inside the shed at night themselves ?

8. Do they walk on lead (to the fields or whatever).

Sorry if the questions seem a bit dim.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    1. What do you feed the adult / baby goats on ?

- I personally feed my adult girls and my babies Alfalfa - or a high Alfalfa / grass cross
    - casterated males I feed a grass mix.
    - males in rutt - alfafla or high Alfalfa/grass - out of rut grass mix

2. Would the baby / adult get on okay ?

- I have never had a problem - if I can seperate the mommas when they are kidding - I seperate for 48 hours then put them back in the herd.
    - also for introducing new ones - never had a problem - but they will head butt a little for the heirarchy - but that is normal.

3. Would a movable pen around the garden be okay for them ?

- YES - it would be great! As long as they have shelter, clean water, and I would reccomend a goat loose mineral and baking soda to be left out at all times

4. Will they smell a lot ?

- only my bucks smell real bad - and that is during rutt. As long as the pens are kept clean - for females or casterated males there is little to no smell

5. Will they make a lot of noise ?

- depends on the breed, if they were bottle raised, and if they are alone!

6. Can they go out in winter or do they stay in the shed ?

- for the most part - at least this is how mine are - they WILL NOT go out in the snow - it is like a "big bad thing" to them - but my sheep go through the snow constantly..... but the goats walk to the edge of where the snow starts and just stare - LOL!

7. Chickens put themselves away at night, do goats do the same and go inside the shed at night themselves ?

- typically yyes if it is cool. Otherwise they might enjoy a night under the stars

8. Do they walk on lead (to the fields or whatever).

- you can definately train them to walk on a leash!

3. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Can they jump high ?

Can I shower / bath them (when I get them home ?)

One is a longish haired one, which I would like to trim. How often would I have to do this ?

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    goats can jump surprisingly high. I have 5ft woven wire fencing, and that keeps them in. on the ir pasture its 4ft and their so busy eating they dont want out. unless they see something at the other side.

yes you can give goats a bath, i do before the fairs. just use a mild dish soap or a human hair shampoo. and sure you can clip the goat. most do a shear the takes all the hair off...but isnt it kind of cold in scotland?

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    As Alaskaboers said - you can shave and bathe them - but make sure it is really warm and also that you towel them off. The other thing is - with shaving - make sure that you have a few months of warm weather. I would not shave completely to the skin - maybe a 2 blade :)

In all the goats I have ever owned - I only had 1 that was a jumper, but then again - I have 10 foot game fence - hehehe

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Great answers Allison! :thumb:

As for clipping them... If it is hot enough in summer there then it's fine to clip or shave them. I personally, give most of my goats a show shave/clip during the summer, but it gets up to 95-102 F regularly here. If it's below....maybe 75 F regularly I wouldn't recommend shaving. I always like to make sure also if I shave...I have lots of warm straw for them to bed down in at night or have a warm shelter, etc. so they don't get cold at night.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    mine were panting at 80F, so I gave them a full body trim. much nicer. it all depends on your climate.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    allison has the questions covered = except here we dont get much snow so they goats just hang out all the time no matter how cold it is. THey dont seem to mind the cold. And some will come out in the snow but others will NOT.

Mine like to sleep indoors but I have had goats who like to sleep outside. If you have preditors then best to keep them locked up at night but if not let them have free access to and from their shelter.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow... everyone has given great advice... no need to add more...but feel free... if you have anymore questions.to just ask . :wink: :greengrin:

10. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    If you feel my questions are stupid, then please say so :greengrin:

If I took the goat for a walk, how far could it walk or run ? I often walk the dogs 2 or 3 mile ?

Could I train it (like a dog) to come when called. Bribery could be used. :slapfloor:

Do they ever get aggressive or grumpy ?

Anyone on here live in Scotland or the UK ?

I wondered about buying a goat pre mix feed for them. Do other people do this ?

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :shocked: no question is stupid! lol :)

I used to take my goats on walks, dont anymore because the others would get jelous and scream :roll: But I guess I could take all 13 at the same time!

males can be aggresive during rut, usually there big sweeties though.

females can be dominate. all goats are different.

LesserWeevil lives in Europe...

sure other people use pre mixed feed. I use Nutrena.

12. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Your questions aren't stupid at all...better to ask then to not know at all! And hey...we all started somewhere...

"If I took the goat for a walk, how far could it walk or run ? I often walk the dogs 2 or 3 mile ?"
    I don't think they'd be able to go a whole mile...especially a squatty little pygmy, but short 15-20 min. walks would probably be just fine.

Could I train it (like a dog) to come when called. Bribery could be used.
    Yes...if you use treats and have a special call for them then you can train them to come when you call. They will be expecting their treat though when they come running. :ROFL:

Do they ever get aggressive or grumpy ?
    They usually aren't aggressive...some bucks can be, but a doe or whether usually never show aggression. I have never had an aggressive goat...and i've had at least 150 goats in my lifetime.

I wondered about buying a goat pre mix feed for them. Do other people do this ?
    Their are some people on here that get a special mix from the mill...I just get my certain grains and pellets and mix them for what I am needing for my herd. Everyone will have a different feeding program that they use to fit their needs...whether it be showing, breeding, milking, meat, pets...etc.

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yep - Kylee got that one -

Except one thing -

Once they figure out that you will give treats when you call - make sure to throw the treats and run like heck :ROFL: :ROFL:

14. KW Farms

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    lol!! So true!! :ROFL:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With my pygmies and crosses, never had one jump a 4 foot fence.
    I use a premix goat feed, never had a problem with it. Also, please get a goat specific loose mineral, there are minerals that they6 need that they won't be able to get with hay,browse or grain.
    Yes, they can be trained to walk nicely on a lead BUT goats like to browse and will stop often for a bite of some yummy greens.
    Mine have constant access to their yards year round, I shut doors at night in the winter though.
    My goats come running when they hear the feed can shaking.
    Goats are not noisy unless they are lonely, in heat or you are late with their meals.
    Bathing them is not neccesary unless they are really dirty, a good brushing will keep them clean. Clipping is up to you, the only ones I clip are my bucks in the summer months due to the heat and all the heavy hair they have.

All my goats get a mixed grass timothy hay.
    Goats don't stink unless their home is not cleaned properly.

And, there is no such thing as a silly question with goaties :greengrin:

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    lesserweevl I think thats how you spell her handle (Katie) lives in Ireland.

17. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Okay, thanks everyone. I am not sure I will shave Daisy (that's the name I'm giving her, even though she is called Foxy at the moment) as in Scotland at the moment it is a bit cool and wet. :GAAH: Traditionally in Scotland, July is always a wet month. May and June were nice and warm though. I think I will just clip her, as her hair is a bit long and dirty.

Do goats eat everything, or can they distinguish between poisonous and non poisonous plants ?

Do they dig with their feet (as deer do) to forage ~ just thinking of my lawn here :(

Does anyone have dogs? Are the goats scared of the dogs ? My 2 dogs are well trained and well behaved (most of the time :greengrin: ).

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    depends on the amount for them to eat - if there is enough good stuff they will shy away from the bad for them stuff (except Rodies they like them for some reason, btu very poisonous).

No they only dig when its HOT HOT Out and they want to get cool they do this in the dirt.

they can get use to dogs - but introduce them slowly or they may never get use to one another. Teach teh dogs to NOT Chase the goats adn that will help a great bit. Many goats and dogs coexist very well together

20. kathyg

kathyg New Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Going to see the baby tomorrow. :cool:

I am going to speak to the local farmer to see if I can walk them in the field. No bother if not, as there are plenty of large grass verges around here, without encroaching on anyone's land. We have a large garden but I want them in like a moveable pen so that I can move them around bit by bit. WE are allowed on his land, there is no problem there, but my goats I doubt it. The public have a right of access to land in Scotland.

Does anyone do tethering ? I spoke to a friend of mine who used to have goats and she said they used to tether theirs (under supervision) with a chain and a collar with a swivel thing on.

I'll need a collar for walking them. Do I leave it on all the time. I don't leave the dogs collars on all the time, just when I am walking them. Will I need a collar (round the neck) or a head collar ?