The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am a brand new goat momma to two Nigerian dwarf wethers, Brutus and Buck, both about 8 weeks old!
They are cute as can be but are pretty skiddish. I was hoping to start them off on a bottle to build a bond with them but they don’t want anything to do with that. I have been going on their pen and sitting a few times a day and trying treats but they still run to the corner. ANY advice on this or anything that you would like to share would be greatly appreciated! :) thank you!

·
Super Moderator
59,328 Posts
Welcome to TGS! Were they weaned? It is going to be hard to get them on a bottle at that age. Sit in the pen and read a book. It is time, time and more time.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,455 Posts
Patience is everything. Grab a book, sit down, be still, and keep treats next to you! Food and patience eventually builds a great bond.

Bottle feeding is not a good idea at this age, 8 weeks is already weaning time when they are taken from their mothers as they have been to come live with you! Forget about bottle feeding, just spend time around them.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I know this sounds harsh but when I bring new baby goats home I give them a few days to adjust then. I catch and hobble them so they can't run. I then precede to walk around them doing chores and such so they understand I'm not hurting them. I stroke them and talk softly before letting them free after that they seem to settle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to TGS! Were they weaned? It is going to be hard to get them on a bottle at that age. Sit in the pen and read a book. It is time, time and more time.
Oh ok! Yes they were pretty close, the guy we got them from said they would get mom maybe once a day. I'll find a good book! Thank you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Patience is everything. Grab a book, sit down, be still, and keep treats next to you! Food and patience eventually builds a great bond.

Bottle feeding is not a good idea at this age, 8 weeks is already weaning time when they are taken from their mothers as they have been to come live with you! Forget about bottle feeding, just spend time around them.
Oh that's good to know! Thank you so much!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,455 Posts
Oh that's good to know! Thank you so much!
No problem! My boys were really shy when we first got them. It took time but a good treat and just sitting in the sun. A good place other than just inside the barn where they like to hang out, I think a picnic table is a nice space for bonding. Then they can come up to your level and they don't feel like you are towering over them.

·
Fair-Haven
4,803 Posts
I really don't like to have kids that young taken off mom if you are not sure if they are actually getting enough grain and hay. I would weigh them daily, track intake of food and water and make sure to offer minerals.Have they been started on coccidia prevention or have you taken a fecal into your vet? If not, I would do that - the stress of moving away from mom can quickly bring down a kid. In the meantime, some probiotics would be beneficial - minimize stress, I would keep them penned in a small space to spend time just sitting with them and being able to sit quietly for a long time - many times a day for them to be able to trust you and ease the transition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts