The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought goats on 7/4 and now I'm curious on how to house them. I currently have them (2 bucks/2 does) in two separate pens. I went to 3 different farms to get these goats, and every farm has a barn with a field attached. We are wanting to pasture our goats and move them every couple of weeks. I guess my question is do they NEED a barn with all the trimmings, being fed hay, etc. or can/will they be okay in fencing secure with their goat shack? We bought them specifically to help clear the overgrowth of land. We just happened to fall in love while we were at it :rolleyes:

·
8,487 Posts
What part of the world are you in? How are your winters? The Deep South in the US, many goats just have shelters as winters are not as cold as the Northern areas. (I am on an ancient iPad and half the screen doesn't work, so I can't tell if you stated your location).

·
Super Moderator
32,217 Posts
Summer requires shade and a place (such as your goat hutch) to get out of rain. Most mine sleep out in the open during summer, by choice.
Winter requires a shelter to get out of wind and rain to stay warm and dry. Your hutch should be just fine. A barn is not necessary unless winters are long, wet or frozen. Larger shelter for long term stay maybe needed as they will stay in longer. May need a hay basket and feeders in doors..ect.
While hay is not needed if they have an abundant variety of browse food (not just graze like grass) goats need brush, briar and bark for roughage..other wise they need hay provided.
They also need a quality loose mineral.
Welcome to the forum and the goat life 😁

Reactions: i like my goats

·
Registered
386 Posts
We rotate ours around similarly, too. We have a quasi-barn that doesn't have great circulation or access so we don't like to leave animals in there very long- just kiddings or illness basically.

It's hard to come up with a shelter system that is portable but if you can manage to keep your herd number small, I find it is very doable. Dogloos on a pallet are popular for my ND and minis. We also have a more sturdy paddock area with a run-in shelter that works nicely for the months of the year when grazing isn't possible (winter).

·
Fair-Haven
4,923 Posts
You need a space to keep minerals, hay , grain and goats dry. You also need a kididing space to get babies out of the elements. There are creative ways to do this, but during kidding you may want a more permanent solution.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts