The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was in Chicago all week as my dad had heart surgery (al went well and he is on the mend faster than anyone expected). I get home 12 am sunday morning, sleep, meet a friend for lunch, then I'm supposed to unpack. Some friends of ours invite us for a cookout an hour away...hubby says he'll drive and I give in, but I'm not quite with it.

I let the dog out and shut the door, but didn't lock it, as I was going to let the dog back in. Anyhow, we forget and take off. An hour and a half later, as we had to stop for gas and groceries, we are at the cookout. We are there for an hour when dear hubby checks his phone. We have a message...

"Hi Corey, this is your neighbor Will, I noticed the side door to your house is open and goats and chickens are entering and exiting at will. there is a freaked out cat running around outside and your dog is loos in the neighborhood and covered in mud. It's pouring rain here. I don't think this is protocol for you guys...wanted to let you know."

Um, yeah...20 minutes later we got a hold of Will. Mind you we have an urban farm so goats live in our backyard. Will didn't want to go in our house without our permission, so he didn't get the goats out or the dog and cat in and is now 30 minutes away himself. We hop in the car nd start calling around, finally get a hold of our neighbor on the other side who agrees to go get animals under control and lock the door.

I had all my daughter's school books on the counter, my laptop on the kitchen table, 50 lbs of goat soap I had just labeled on another counter, a bunch of bills and work papers on my desk, oil paints on my easel and oil paintings leaned against a wall....BUT...

The goats found the cabinet in the kitchen with the flour, oatmeal, pancake mix, baking soda, etc. and trashed that inteead. True there was 1/2 inch of floury-stuff ALL over three living rooms (1000) square feet) of our house, on counters, tables, and mud all over our furniture...but it really could have been worse, much worse. So we're laughing about it now and no one is ill...they didn't actually EAT that much and mostly oats, barley and baking soda....so,,,,whew!!!!!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
:ROFL: Oh my, I am sorry about your house and the food they ate, but that is so funny! They even ate baking soda so they wouldn't get upset tummies after the grain! :ROFL: I'm glad they didn't bother the more valuable items!!! Crazy goats!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Oh my goodness!!! Yeah do you have pictures?! I would have been horrified and hostile! Oh my gosh, I can't even imagine!
Wait a second, actually I can imagine, that sounds exactly like the time my sister's dog got in my house, shredded every piece of paper, chewed the couches, ripped open the bags and boxes of food, pottied everywhere, and acted completely innocent when we got back!
Or the time my daughter's had their drop calves on the front porch (cement porch, it was fine, they lived there for a month), but when they when back inside they didn't shut the door...came out into the kitchen to find two 300lb calves in my kitchen, doing what the will !!!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We did take a picture, I may uplaod it tonight..it only shows the area near the cabinet they got into. It's super funny now, now that everyone is fine.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
HAHAHAHA!!!! would have been funny if cops were called, and they showed up to find goats ransacking the house! :ROFL:

·
Registered
867 Posts
LOL i have the same setup u do goats in the back yard. And the kids sometimes leave the door open. And i will go in the house to find goats on the beds and walking around the house nibbling on things lol. Luckily not to bad like what happen to u.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Wow that is so funny!! As long as everone and valuables are ok! My lamancha weather learned to open door knobs with his horns I woke up in middle night to some awful noises to find him playing on our stairs outside bedroom door lmao!!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
lol..always good to laugh when its all over...glad everyones was ok :D

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
HAHA!! I love the part about them eating baking soda so they don't bloat!!! :laugh: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts