break it down

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by countryboy, Sep 11, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    So, can ya'll break down the drying off thing for us? We have a doe that we are milking and it's time to bred her. Please bare in mind that this is our first go around.

2. Zelda

Zelda New Member

May 2, 2009
    Rocky Mountains
    You probably know this, but you can keep milking her after she's bred. You don't have to dry her off to breed her.

She needs dried up a couple months before she is due to kid.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you do not have to dry her off to breed her UNLESS you have to take her to a buck and leave here there. But as long as she is able to be milked each day you can get a buck and breed her and not dry her off.

The dry off process is to be done slowly and I suggest you sort of set a goal to have her dried off -- like a 3 week mark after starting.

First you want to get her down to once a day milking. Then dont milk her all the way out each time you milk. Soon you can milk once every other day, then every three days. Once you believe she isnt making milk anymore leave her for a day or two and then milk her all the way out so that the milk doesnt say in her bag and cause issues. LIke I said this usually takes like 2-3 weeks depending on how much milk she is producing.

4. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thank you both. On one of the other threads someone spoke of the milk in the bag as watery. Can the milk be drank up until she is dried off?

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes you can drink it until she is dried off :)

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

this is what i do:
    Cut it down to once a day milking, once she isnt full everytime i go every day only milk half out. When she isnt full at milking time i go to every other day. Then every two days. Once she isnt filling up anymore i milk her all the way out and infuse her udder. When leaving milk in it cause bacteria to grow and they can carry that on to be mastitis the next year. Putting a tube of tomorrow per side the last time upi milk kills that. The entire time im drying her off i also give her 1000 mg of vitamin c.
    beth