The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is a true break away collar and where can I get them? I thought what I had were breakaway collars for my goats but turns out they aren't. I am leaving the girls collarless, but there are times when I need, or would like, to have a collar on them, such as when they are out with us and I need to grab one, or have their id on it in case one wanders off and so a neighbor would know who to return her too. (chance of one wandering off is about nil, but you never know). Any info, pics, etc would help

Thanks, and I appreciate your help.

·
Super Moderator
58,110 Posts
The plastic chain ones are the true break away collars. I think you can get them from Jeffers and places like that.

·
Registered
29,880 Posts
Keep in mind these can still cause accidents....we have had babies get their leg caught in moms collar...or another her horn caught in a sisters collar ...we finally just removed them all together...we also found them on the ground a lot lol...Some find the cheap dog collar the clip together work good as well as any good tug breaks the clip....

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I use the WalMart adjustable dog collars with the plastic clip -- and echo Cathy's observation that in a pinch, that plastic clip will break, releasing the collar. I like the adjustable ones 'cause I can start them on a kid and actually use the same one most of their lives (at least on the does)....economical.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I have the plastic chain collars on my goats; the collars don't really work as well as I thought they would. The goats are often times slipping them off somewhere - I can't even keep one on my polled buck. The latch gets caught in the fence when the goats rub on it, so they end up leaving the collar behind, hanging on the fence. The chain links themselves are very flexible and won't break easily, what gives is the latching mechanism which stretches and unloops the chain. At this point half my goats have collars on still the other half does not. But, I do know the collar will come off if the goat gets stuck, so in that way they are a success.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts