The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our neighbors (not sure which one) has recently gotten a baby goat. A few weeks ago I was hearing, what I assumed to be, a baby screaming in the late evening/night.
A couple days later, someone stopped by my house asking if I lost one of my goats. They saw a baby goat running on the street. I checked on my girls, but all 4 of mine are accounted for. So we went out looking for the little one who we thought was lost, but couldn't find it.
Every night since then, I have been hearing her cry. It breaks my heart.
One of my own young goats, named Hope, has been crying each night since then. I am thinking it's in response to hearing the other baby goat crying.
I wish they would get another goat to keep that little one company.
Why do people get these animals if they're going to allow them to be miserable?

Sorry... Just needed to vent....

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Soooo. When a baby cries contentiously its necessarily miserable? No. Same goes for goats to. My full grown girls cry for no reason.
And its not necessarily miserable; its play mate (humans) went to sleep.
Goats can be 1 goat pets they just have to adjust. And they do that by crying their little worlds out. Just like babies.

Don't puppies do the same thing until they adjust too???

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
poor thing. I do hope it gets company. Goats that live by themselves are not the norm for sure. Especially baby ones. Hopefully its just an extra noisy baby and it does have a companion thats just not as vocal (We have one kid who SCREAMS and CRIES like he is all alone WHILE laying next to his mom! He is a bit special)

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Poor kid. I do hope they get their goat a companion. Any way you can try and offer some sly advise? Like, find an excuse to pop over, engage in friendly conversation, and then go "oh by the way, is everything OK with your adorable little goat?" Maybe an opening to slip in information about herd animals will arise. Though if you don't have a good relationship with that neighbor, I guess it wouldn't work.

Edit: nevermind, just read that you aren't sure which neighbor it is!

Soooo. When a baby cries contentiously its necessarily miserable? No. Same goes for goats to. My full grown girls cry for no reason.
And its not necessarily miserable; its play mate (humans) went to sleep.
Goats can be 1 goat pets they just have to adjust. And they do that by crying their little worlds out. Just like babies.

Don't puppies do the same thing until they adjust too???
I think Abra would know if the kid is miserable. There is a certain sound to their yelling, that panicky, distressed sound.

Yep, adult goats and kids seem to yell for no reason, and some definitely do it a lot. But it is easy to tell when something is wrong with that yell, rather than just "hey, I love the sound of my voice!". I assume that this is the case. And if it is happening almost constantly, then there is a problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts