Breathing deeply . . .

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I made a typical greenhorn mistake when buying these does: I forgot to make sure they were tested for CAE and CL. after I remembered, I've been kind of scared to ask . . . but today I emailed him and asked him and they are both CAE tested. I will test them for CL when they come home. Breathing deeply . . . :)

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    good luck ..I know it is something to worry about ....I can't blame you for your frustration.......... :worried:

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I'm glad they were CAE tested though, i was fearing the worst.

I want to tell you why I went into these goats.
    I have been interested in Nigerians for along time and finally I said, Lord, if you want me to get into these goats, you provide the money.
    The next day, a hundred dollars was dropped into my lap.
    within the next 3 weeks, I had almost five hundred dollars. . . something that is very hard to get for me.

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow......................thank the lord..............well your goats should be perfectly fine then .......... they were created from the power of prayer..... :)

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I betcha they'll come back neg. Power of prayer,,,quite amazing.

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    you have know idea how I felt . . .

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

you said it....... :thumbup:

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    geez, i wish money would fall into my lap. hope your goats are neg- i agree they will be,

9. Candy

Candy New Member

Just thinking out loud!

Testing for CL & CAE is something that I have never done. I only have 3 does but I still would like to know for sure. None have ever had any signs/symptoms of either. Katie, the oldest, came from FL. I helped her breeder out for the winter and got Katie as a gift. If you want to have a lot of fun, just haul a 3 mo old doeling from FL to PA (about 1000 mi.) Kizzy is the result of Katie's first breeding. If you want to have MORE fun, transport a 10 mo. old doeling Back to FL, for the winter. Katie was bred where she was born. Neither have been around any other goats, except when they were bred, here in PA. Madam is Katie's daughter from her 2nd freshening. Liz's buck, Chief, is Madam's sire. I'm SURE that Liz's herd is disease free. I don't know if the FL breeder ever had any of hers checked. I want to know yet don't want to know. I know that that sounds dumb, but I sure don't want to expose any one to any thing because of my girls. I would not put them down, but keep them here and NOT breed them. Any thoughts?
    Candy :shrug:

10. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I don't have any tips, but I'll bump this up for ya.

11. Candy

Candy New Member

Thanks, Talitha--I don't know how to do that.
    Candy

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for pets I wouldnt worry about it. But if you want to sell for show and such it can be helpful with the sales of the kids.