The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Molly has been breathing heavy and fast the last couple of days... I'm in northern Minnesota and we have been hit by smoke from Canada... now I'm not sure if this is why or not. I called the vet and since she is possibly pregnant we cannot give her a steroid to help. What she did give was antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory to help, which it did, she seems to be breathing normal now... Curious on other people's opinion here.

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
What antibiotics did he give? Did you get her temp? This is prime time for pneumonia.

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
Banamine is an anti-inflammatory, fever reducer and pain reliever...its not an antibiotic. If you can..call your vet and ask what he gave her. Most antibiotics need to be given daily and at higher doses for goats then sheep or cows. It would be good to know also so you can keep records of what when and how much.
Get her temp rectally is the only way to know for sure what her temp is and what her body is doing. You won't know by feeling her.. For ex: if it's high, then she most likely has infection where if it's low..her rumen is in trouble and she is shutting down. Again..good to keep record.
Grab her temp and get back with us on that and med's given. If he gave her Draxxin, which is excellent for lungs. She will need a second dose in 7 days..other antibiotics like Nuflor needs daily. This is important to prevent relapse
Normal temp is 101.5-103.5 range.

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
I buy a handful of thermometers from a local drug store and keep them everywhere lol.im my barn, jacket pocket during cold months, goat medicine cabinet and my to go emergency box. Because you know when you need it. You can't find them or their battery dies.
Make sure the vet gives another draxxin shot 7 days after the first one. I'm sure the gal there just mixed the two up on paper..it happens.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I was just at the store and they only had an expensive forehead tester so next time I'm in town, or I order online, I will get some... I'll talk to her about doing a second dosing of the antibiotics. She is more knowledgeable in goats then other vets in our area, she had her own as well. I was able to pick them up and give the shots myself, so saves on cost!

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
Yes..head ones don't work for goats.. i get an inexpensive digital one,, no need for fancy animal thermometers either. But don't get those super rapid digital ones..a normal 30 second one I think? Is best.
Good your vet allows you to pick up the shots..it does save $$$. My vet suggests if fever or symptoms persist after 24 to 48 hours of a Draxxin shot to do another antibiotic between the two shots. Some times draxxin alone just isn't enough. It does hit the lungs though which can help prevent lung damage..so is a good choice when coughing is a issue or as you mentioned..smoke in the air.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
My goats had been breathing heavily and coughing from the residual smoke from out west. Once it cleared, so did their breathing problems. Mine, too.

Reactions: K.B.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
It took a few days for their lungs to completely clear. Our smoke came from both western US and Canada. Even with an inhaler, my lungs took a hit and are still wheezy/coughy, and the smoke cleared 5 or so days ago. We got hit with some heavy humidity, too, which didn't help. That is still going on up here. Hopefully the antibiotic and the Banamine will help your girl.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hopefully, idk tonight it's not looking like it unfortunately looks like she is back to breathing heavily. She only gave us 2 days of the anti-inflammatory

·
Super Moderator
32,306 Posts
Vet Rx may help. You can get it for goats or chickens..same stuff.. or if you have access to quality essential oils, eucalyptus is great to clear the lungs..just put some diluted oil under her nose as well as rub on her chest. DoTerra has a Breath blend that is amazing. If you want herb choice..there are lung blends available..if you look at Land of Havilah web site or contact the owner Kristie, she is great to advice and point you to the best blend to buy.
Also b complex shot to support her system. Fresh raw garlic to boost immune system and act as a antibiotic. Some goats will gobble them..others I make a paste by blending the garlic with olive oil and if I need to drench it I mix it With enough water to get it through a syringe.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vet Rx may help. You can get it for goats or chickens..same stuff.. or if you have access to quality essential oils, eucalyptus is great to clear the lungs..just put some diluted oil under her nose as well as rub on her chest. DoTerra has a Breath blend that is amazing. If you want herb choice..there are lung blends available..if you look at Land of Havilah web site or contact the owner Kristie, she is great to advice and point you to the best blend to buy.
Also b complex shot to support her system. Fresh raw garlic to boost immune system and act as a antibiotic. Some goats will gobble them..others I make a paste by blending the garlic with olive oil and if I need to drench it I mix it With enough water to get it through a syringe.
That's a good idea, I'll have to check if we have eucalyptus! We have tons of essential oils so I'm sure we do... just put a couple drops by her nostrils then?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts