The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nubian buckling, who was one of triplets...he was number 1...and when he was born..he was twisted and coming out spine first...so I had to get in there and turn and deliver him...

I have noticed since we took him from his mom after the first week...that he seemed to have issues with aspirating easily...

Over the last couple of days we have noticed that he is always breathing heavy...panting but not open mouth...and today he is a bit lethargic...

He was really folded up when in momma and I am wondering if that could have something to do with development...which causes him to aspirate so easily...

I did go a head and deworm them all...were due for it anyway...just in case that could be an issue too...

He has seemed fine up until this point...with the exception of the aspiration issues...would have to feed him last...and give him time because he was always coughing...

Which would lead me to believe that the grain we feed them is a bit dusty...if he is constantly aspirating that...he could have some sort of lung infection...

Any thoughts??

Christine

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
When was he born? Given the circumstances of his birth, it's possible that he aspirated amniotic fluid. What is his temperature? He could be in the process of developing pneumonia.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he's about 9 weeks old...haven't tackled temp taking yet...haven't had a need to...everyone has been really healthy...but he still aspirates...has the entire time I bottle fed him...its hard to tell if he does it when drinking water...

I always clean their noses when I am able to after and even during eating...

Can I treat him with antibiotics if he is getting pneumonia?

·
1,384 Posts
I would start treating him right away for pnuemonia.

Penn G if you have it every 6 to 8 hours
then get a stronger antibiotic from the fet Nuflor or draxin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts