The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Nubian a Mini-nubian, and a Nigora. All have been bred to a Nigerian Dwarf boy. Last year my nubian was very hard to keep weight on in the winter. She had her baby midwinter, and milking and keeping weight on her was tough! We had other milking dilemmas and I basically gave up after 2 months. This year I didn't breed until later for early spring babies, but any thoughts on keeping weight on her? With dogs you have to be careful what you feed while pregnant because too much mineral content or not enough can cause issues. The other two I have no idea what to expect.

Currently we still have some dying back pasture, and they get hay, and goat sweet feed, drizzled with sunflower oil or corn oil and loose minerals. Alfalfa pellets were a big hit last year and helped with the weight.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Horse quality hay and no on the copper. We are in middle TN. Are we especially low in Copper? The loose mineral I do not recall the brand but it is the only loose mineral available locally from Tractor Supply.

·
Super Moderator
59,933 Posts
Most places are low in copper and selenium but you would have to find out if your area is.

You can mail a fecal sample. If you do a search, there is a thread in here about a place that does fecal testing. You could also find out if you could send it to your state lab.

Horse quality hay doesn't tell me what is in the hay or what cutting it is.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I won't be able to answer more on the hay. I get it as payment for taking care of a gentleman's pasofino horse. He buys "high quality" hay for her and shares it with me as much as I need. Good hay is hard to come by locally and I know he brings it over from about 2 hours away to get hay that he thinks is "good enough" for his much loved horse.

·
Super Moderator
59,933 Posts
What goat feed are you using? Here is the thing. Your goats entire diet should be at least 2:1 calcium to phosphorus. So it is good to know what you have so you know if alfalfa pellets should be a permanent part of the diet. Second you really need to know if your goats need to be supplemented for copper and selenium.

Is your Nubian of a good weight now? Exactly how much were you feeding her before? My Nubian/Alpine mix got alfalfa/grass mixed hay free choice and 5.5 cups of goat feed per milking. This is what was needed for milk production and maintaining weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts