Bred doe/kid health questions

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goatiegurl*Oh, Feb 4, 2011.

1. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make sure everyone is healthy :)

Ivermectin paste horse wormer is safe to give to my pregnant does, right? My does are due in 2 months, so would it be best to give it now or wait until a month before kidding? How much do you use per 50 lbs? Could over-dosing hurt them? Where is CDT given and how much for does/ kids? I plan on having fecals done about a month after all the does have kidded, do you think this is a good idea?

What types of prevention are available for cocci,and when do you start it? Is there something I can give orally or inject to make sure each kid gets the right amount?

2. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Cd&T 1 month prior to kidding 2cc

I'll let someone else offer the advice on horse paste.

DiMenthox for cocci- we just keep it on hand and treats if we see signs of the runs or fecal

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It says it is safe for pregnant horses so it should be safe for goats too....

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html ... 4f8c7006f0

scroll down to Stacey's reply.... for dosage............
    overdosing... will not hurt them.... it is better to overdose than to under dose with wormers... :wink:
    viewtopic.php?f=5&t=508

I would wait til 1 month prior to kidding .....unless they look really bad and have really white gums....

CD& T is given in the armpit area...just under the skin... 2cc's no matter age....or size...

It is a good idea to get a fecal after kidding.... so you know...I'd ask them to check for worms and cocci .... For a prevention...I think it does more harm than good...it can make them immuned to the meds when it is really needed... so I hesitate on preventions.... but some swear by it...this is just my opinion.... :wink:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use ivermectin paste when needed. The dose for a 50 lb goat would be that for a 150lb horse. I have a topic with the dose amounts on the paste here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15190 and yes it is safe for pregnant does as well as kids.

I give the CD/T sub q over the shoulder because thats the easiest area for me.

I also do individual dosing with DiMethox for cocci prevention..had it in a kid once and prevention is better for me.
    I use 12.5% DiMethox straight with no dilution, starting at 3 weeks each kid gets 1.5cc twice a day for 7 days, then 1.5 cc each week til they are weaned.

5. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Ok, thanks guys :thumb:

Liz, do you give the dimethox orally?

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, it is given orally, be sure that if you choose to do the prevention with the DiMethox that you get the 12.5% solution. Hoeggars as well as Jeffers carries it. Also, be prepared with a different sulfa drug for treatment, just in the case that the prevention fails and they still end up with coccidia...Albon, Sulmet or even Corid can be alternatives....DiMethox is a generic form of Sulmet so if you would need to treat a cocci case, going with Albon or Corid would work IF the treatment dosing of DiMethox ( dose is different for treatment as compared to prevention) doesn't work.

8. goatiegurl*Oh

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio