The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bred 5 does in early October. Three days ago, (December 5th) one doe started having signs of heat.(flagging and swelling) Then today,(December 7th) ALL my does started doing it which would be normal if they weren't bred. I let my buck out and he was interested in a few but they weren't. They all have grown a lot in the stomach and you sure can two of them are for sure bred. Also no one has passed any "babies"

Ok now, is that normal for all my "pregnant does" does to do that. (is it a false heat)
And was it a good or bad idea to let my buck out to catch anyone that wasn't bred?

www.facebook.com/pinewoodvalleydairy.net

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
It is not too uncommon for does to act like they're in heat sometimes while pregnant. As long as the buck isn't harassing them and causing them too much stress, then I would leave him with them and if any actually happen to be open, then he can hopefully get them bred.

·
Super Moderator
14,790 Posts
I would write today down as a due date to be on the safe side. I don't think it's that uncommon for them to think they are back in heat, although all In one day is interesting. I don't see anything wrong with letting the buck out to be on the safe side as long as he's not really bugging the ones that are not showing interest. I know over the years, well pretty much every year I've had more then one due date on some and 9 out of 10 times they kidded on the first date. But they stood to be bred and still carried to term. I let my bucks stay with the girls till they are 4 months bred with nothing bad happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts