The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot about feed rations and I am completely confused! I have a mature Nigerian dwarf Dow due to kid in about 3-4 weeks. Some articles I read say to not feed anything but hat or grass until kidding and others state that I should be slowly building her nutritional intake. What on earth does that mean? I'm terrified I'm over feeding her and that this will cause her to have problems having her baby and then I worry that if I cut her back she will have problems after she kids. Any advice would be appreciated because I cannot decide what I need to do.
Right now she is getting 1/2 cup of dumor goat pellets in the am and pm along with good pasture. She is chubby and heavy with baby. I have been feedi g this for about 2-3 weeks.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
As a general rule of thumb, grass alone is not enough to support heavy bred animals. It does not meet their energy or protein requirements. Unless you have a lot of weeds in that pasture, grain is needed. The thing you want to be careful of is weight gain in the last month (can cause problems kidding), and feeding too much grain (can cause the kid(s) to become too large and cause problems kidding). I would say you have it under control and keep doing what you are doing.

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/goats/CSGSymposium/bodycondscore_goat.pdf

Above is a guide to body condition scores. It will help you decide where your doe stands in terms of being too thin, too fat, or just right. Good luck with your girl and her babies!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I think she might be a little heavy. Maybe a 4... So I could probably cut her back a little bit and it probably wouldn't hurt her. I'll have to check her out closer tonight now that I have this body score list. She just looks like a typical miserable pregnant lady lol.
I am worried I have her too heavy though... I hope hope hope she doesn't have any problems.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts