The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In October, I got a couple Angora does straight from the Navajo reservation. They were with a nice Angora buck prior to coming here so it is possible they're bred. We did have a cold spell a couple weeks prior and the buck was a tad stinky, not bad though. (It's my understanding that Navajo Angora bucks are only in rut 6 months of the year, beginning w/the first cold snap of the season.) Two months have passed and the does look and act basically the same, except both are noticeably more spunky and both have gained a little weight - the latter probably from better nutrition and the regular feedings they're receiving in captivity. If they were preggers, wouldn't they be showing by now (2 - 2.5 months)? What signs should I be looking for?

It doesn't really make any difference to me either way. I just would like to know so I can plan accordingly (e.g. schedule shearing) and, in the event they are preggers, be prepared.

Deb Mc

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
StaceyRoop said:
goats start to show when they are aprox 3 months along.
What signs should I look for and when?

Just because theyw ere in with a buck doesnt mean they were in heat and stood to be bred.
Right. I'm not sure how long they were with this buck but it sounds like they might have been together for quite a while. These three were the only goats mixed in with a flock of sheep out on the range in the middle of nowhere. The buyer didn't want the goats so I bought the does from him. I can tell both have kidded before, and one of them is at least 5 years old.

Deb Mc

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
myfainters said:
Keep an eye on their udders... they will start to form a bag about 6 weeks prior to delivery. :- )
Thanks, Jess. I felt down there today on the tamer doe and her udder feels smaller and firmer (i.e. less stretched out and flabby) than when I got her a couple months ago. By the time I got the girls in October it was too late to shear so their fleeces are pretty shaggy now making it hard to "see" any change in their physical condition. I've heard that like sheep, some goats can go full term and conceal a pregnancy right up until they surprise deliver. Since I don't have any experience kidding, I'd prefer to avoid that scenario if at all possible.

Deb Mc

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Yep pull some blood- some does dont show a pregnancy well at all- especially if they are first timers with a single. I have some that are ultrasounded bred- but looking at them, I wouldnt even know they were pregnant, and they have a little over a month to go.

So if you can- pull the blood and send it in, then you will know for sure (of course you will be guessing on a due date which is always :hair: )

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info! Mail order PG testing for goats - what d'ya know - I'll definately look into it.

Deb Mc

·
Registered
925 Posts
Sorry to hijack this post-but I have a doe that I took for breeding last month...am waiting for the next few days to see if she goes in heat. She is a proven doe-and has had at least one set of twins. If she doesn't go into heat can we be thinking she might be bred? Or do we just have to wait and wait until she starts showing...

·
Registered
83 Posts
How far along would they have to be before you could hear a heartbeat with a stethoscope? Is is it even plausible with the rumen noises?

Evan

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
If you are behind the doe, her back right side should start to round out. Once you see this you can often see movement on that side as well as feel for it. A vet can also do an ultrasound if you want. This there is always a pooch test. Which I am understanding much more with time as I had never heard of it till this board. Do a search and you will find much on the pooch test. hehe

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Both does are too hairy to see any physical change that may or may not be occurring. How far along would they have to be to feel fetal movement?

Deb Mc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts