Bred or Not?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RowdyKidz, Aug 10, 2009.

1. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Can someone explain the pooch test? I have 2 girls possibly bred. Both have kidded 2-3 times before. 1 is due in Oct and the other in Nov. So if anyone can explain what it'll look like if they are bred, please let me know. :) I really don't have tim to get pictures so I want to figure it out.

Thanks! :greengrin:

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tara, the entire area under the tail droops, the anus seems to loose elasticity and the vulva is longer. The entire tail and the area around it seems to be fleshier...if you touch the underside of the tail, the skin feels very soft and almost velvety. You do have does that are not bred right? Look at them and then do a comparrison to the ones that are possibly bred.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

at two to three months along the does go from being a little wrinkled to a smooth almost swollen look. the skin seems to swell a little and flattens out.
    beth

4. Is that the anus or the vulva? Or both?

5. From my understanding it is both but I have not perfected it yet.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The entire area under the tail...the anus is less puckered up...more of a droopy eyelid look and the vulva is longer and flatter, til about a month before they are due, then it will look plump and protrude out.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yup, the entire area under the tail stats to swll and look fleshy.
    beth

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Des anyone have a good pic? (visual learner) :question:

9. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
  10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Thank you! :) it was extremely helpful! :)

11. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    You are very welcome. I always tried to follow other's explanations (very good btw) of what to look for in the pooch test, but when fcnubian posted those pics, bingo-so very clear.