Bred Yearling doe found dead...what happened?????!!!

Discussion in 'Goat of the Month' started by Connc24, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Connc24

Connc24 New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    When checking yearling pasture last night I realized when the goats came to eat that one of the doe kids was spotting around her vulva..figured she had miscarried as she is only 1-2 months along in her pregnancy...other than that she was eating and doing fine..got real cold last night but I have a completely enclosed barn with straw that the goats can shelter in free choice...found her dead in the barn this morning with lots of discharge coming out of her vulva...sent her off for autopsy this morning..she was updated on all shots and wormer and current on cdt shots...healthy as a corse and in good condition...no runny nose what so ever...what went wrong?? Suggestions or similar stories??
    Thanks

Goat town likes this.
  2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    What a tragic loss. Unfortunetly these things happen.
    She could have been rammed really hard not only enough to cause miscarriage but internal injuries as well.
    Do let us know what necropsy showed.
    Sorry.

3. GoatieGranny

GoatieGranny Member

Jul 26, 2013
    I'm so sorry. I can imagine what a shock this would be for you.

I've not experienced a situation like you are dealing with, and have no wisdom to impart, but I just wanted to offer my condolences.

It will be interesting to hear the results of the autopsy. At least you will know why or how this happened.

((hugs))

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am very sorry, let us know the results. :(

5. HalfAChanceFarm

HalfAChanceFarm Member

Nov 30, 2012
    Very sorry I can't help, but please do share the results.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Goat Forum mobile app

6. nickysanford

nickysanford New Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Berry, AL
    Aw that is so sad.

Sent from my XT626 using Goat Forum mobile app

7. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Aww , what a tragedy , so sorry for your loss :(
    Please keep us posted on the results .

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    what a shocking and sad thing to find, Im so sorry...as Nancy said, a hard hit could cause both the miscarrige and internal injury...The fact she eating fine and looks fine other wise is confussing...maybe a slow internal tear or bleeder?
    Hopefully the neocropsy sheds light on it...

9. OakHollowRanch

OakHollowRanch New Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Northern California
    Oh no, I am so sorry. :grouphug: At least you are having a necropsy done so you will know the cause and not have to wonder any longer.

10. chloes

chloes New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Hi there,
    did you find out what happened with your yearling? I would lose it if that happened to me! I feel for you! My favorite doeling died last year and I'm still not over it...:tears:

11. HalfAChanceFarm

HalfAChanceFarm Member

Nov 30, 2012
    I know this is an old thread, but did you find out the results? For some reason, I just remembered this thread and looked back to see if any results were shared.
    Thanks

12. AintGotNoCreekRanch

AintGotNoCreekRanch New Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Yeah, what was the result?!?

❤Chelbi in Southern Texas❤

13. Kiddskids

Kiddskids New Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Circleville, Ohio
    What was the result???!!!??. Really sorry for your loss;( :(

Sent from my iPad using Goat Forum

14. rochelle

rochelle rochelle~loves~goats

Jul 10, 2016
    Clear Lake, Wisconsin
    No update on the results? This is disturbing! I just lost my 4 month old baby Nigerian Dwarf 2 weeks ago, the 1st of 2 I've had in my entire life cuz I wanted to start loving goats & I lose one & still have his lil brother....worst 4 legged fur baby death I've seen cuz these goat are so much like real children! They let you know when they are in pain! I have 2 other goats that are 1 year old that I pretty much rescued (Pygmy goats) family didn't take care of them & I love them so much! So the 3 of my babies get along & play pretty good but I miss the one I lost & I know lil brother miss his brother too I slept in our garage in the hay with him for 6 days when his brother went to comfort him! Mommy has to do what she's gotta do! Thanks for your time

nehimama and Bunker Hill Babies like this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Dairy_goat

Dairy_goat Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Virginia
    I highly doubt they will respond, this person only posted once and probably forgot that they posted on this forum. I have been guilty of this as well. Let us hope they were able to find out what happened!

17. GoatCrazy01

GoatCrazy01 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Michigan
    Following just in case the person replies and lets us know what happened. Just curious ;)

18. Oreosmom

Oreosmom mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    I'm so sorry for yr loss.

19. TexasGoatMan

TexasGoatMan Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Dekalb, Texas
    I would really like to know the results of the tests. It might help some of us out down the line if we encounter anything like it.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California