Bred?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Sep 26, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Hey everyone, I haven't really been around the goats for the past 2 days. Tonight they broke out of the pen through the creek - it's dried up and technically we aren't supposed to have anything 'permanent' across it, but I fixed their rear ends this time....

So anyway, I noticed one of my does looks sore on the backend, and my kids had mentioned she had something on her butt <they were here with her all day and were out with her earlier>.

Her vulva looks a bit swollen, and she doesn't want anyone to touch her backend. I usually never EVER have a problem, heck I usually grab her tall and wag it gently/playfully and she never moves, almost as if she likes it! But now you touch her tail and she's trying to get away from you - and her tail looks sunken in a bit around the lig area, and she'll keep her tail down if you get around her to mess with looking at that area.

Think the buck bred her? I'm a bit concerned, I think he could be coming into rut, he's been chasing my other 2 non preggo's. And today he was really chasing the bucklings, which he never does.

We 'thought' this doe could already be pregnant - she was hand bred, BUT, she'd be almost 2 months and shows no real signs.
    We've had no issued up to this point, but if I have to I will seperate the buck, he'll be leaving in a month, and I hate to do that to him, but I want my girls to be happy and not run down. I know it's getting to be that time of year...

Anyway, you think he bred her and made her really sore? He's a 180lb boer buck, and she's a tall, but petite boer/percentage doe - she's slender, healthy but slender, possibly around 80lbs or so?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would mark her down as possibly bred today and then watch for signs of heat in the next 18-21 days

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Stacey. She came in heat at the end of July when she was hand bred - she was standing but every time the buck tried to mount her his weigh sent her to her knees, so my husband held her so she wouldn' fall forward.
    She didn't come in heat last month, honestly haven't seen any signs of heat now, but again lots could have happened the past 2 days. I will definitely mark it down.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    not uncommon for them to miss a heat and then still come back in-- she could have absorbed the pregnancy or she could be aborting so watch her