Breech [sp?] kid :(

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Nubiansrus1, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    What a way to start the kidding season... I was watching my neighbors kid/and horse and knew I had a doe gonna go soon so I was running back and forth, knew saturday she was gonna kid. Kept running back and forth every hour when I knew she was close, well she kept me waiting finally late in the day I came back to one kid on the ground and pretty clean and the other one stuck!! Went to exploring a little and stretched out the bent leg and looked for the head, only to find a tail!!! I knew the kid was breech. I was calm and carefully helped a screaming mom get the kid out. But the kid took a few gasps and died. :( I feel so guilty... what if id been here, what if that, what if this... grr... it was a gorgeous black and white buckling. But he had problems... probably from lack of oxygen. Im guessing from being breech. We did however get an adorable little black with grown and white accents from her. Hes sooo sweet, a bit small and it took extra an extra day for him to find his legs as good as he should, but today hes running around perfect. Hes just the smaller of the two... hope the kidder year goes better. :( Cant help but be hurt over the little breech kid. I will post pics at birth announcements sometime today. They are pure nubians. :) Love them long ears.

2. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    awww! so sorry you lost one! :hug: you did the very best you could, so give the extra love to the other one. i know how hard it is to lose a kid. can't wait for pics!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You shouldn't... feel guilty at all.... :hug: I know it is hard to lose a baby...but it wasn't caused by you.... sounds like you were there every moment checking her....and when she finally was in labor you were there...and helped...sometimes... God has other idea's for the new borns...beyond our control.... please don't blame yourself...it does and can happen.... :(

Kids can be born breach.... you just pull them out as if it where front words....so you did the right thing..... so it wasn't because of you...

Congrats on the other baby...glad to hear he is doing OK... :thumb: :hug:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As Pam said, sometimes things happen beyond our control...I've had kids come tail first and rear feet first, scared the crap outa me the first time but now I know that they can be delivered with a bit of help. You have a healthy mama and a healthy baby because you were attentive, I can't wait to meet the newest lil longears!

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Awww I am so sorry you lost a little one, but I agree with the others, it's not your fault. I can't wait to see pics of the little one, he sounds so cute! Congrats!

6. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Very sorry for your loss. Don't let it trouble you too much. As everyone else has said, there are some things out of your control and you can not dwell on the what-ifs. No one can change the past and you just have to move forward. It is a very real possibility that no matter how fast he came out, he would have inhaled too much fluid. Also, trying to force him out too fast could have seriously damaged mom as well. You stayed calm and collected and did exactly that right thing for everyone. Congrats on the little brother!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree with the others. Look at it this way, if you were not there you might of lost mom. SO congratus to you for the new baby and a happy mom. :thumb: