The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I everyone! I have a lamancha doe that is bred to a reg Nubian buck. I am excited to see what the kids will look like! What are your fave crosses and please include photos!

·
Registered
131 Posts
We have a registered LaMancha/Alpine cross. The sire was a LaMancha and the dam an Alpine. As a 2 year old first freshener, she milks over 8 lbs/1 gallon a day. She looks like a very tall, standard colored LaMancha with elf ears. Her personality and temperament is exactly like our other passive, lovey dovey purebred LaMancha doe. We adore her!

I'd love to buy a LaMancha/Saanan cross! If anyone has had experience with that particular cross, I'd love to hear how the temperament and milk production is.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
My friends have two Saanan/LaMancha cross kids. They are their first and only goats. A doe and a wether. They are super laid back, friendly, and SO easy to deal with. They had me come over and trim their hooves and worm them so they could see what to do. It was probably their first time, and they handled it perfectly! I don't know how much milk they are producing, of course, but they seem like a great cross.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm going to cross my boer buck and saanen doe sometime in August 2014. I was wondering what they might look like. Not just color, but height and muscle.....Anyone have a picture of that cross?

·
Registered
215 Posts
View attachment 43733

View attachment 43734

This is Bella, my saanen/boer cross. She's a real character ! I love her!!! She'll get bred this month (fingers crossed) to a boer buck
Which one is Bella? How old is she, and how much do you think she weighs?

Just wondering, because I thought dairy goats were taller than boer, but boer being heavier.

So the 2 together would make a really big goat.

·
4,499 Posts
Yes...she does whatever she wants! She's bigger than my nigies, but still growing. I think around 65/70 lbs ? She was born April 1st.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
My favorite cross is Saanen sire (pic 1) x 1/2 Boer 1/2 Savanna dam (pic 2). Doeling looks like Oberhasli (pic 3 with mom) (pic 4 alone).
She is super athletic, tall, fast, meaty and powerful with two perfect teats an high escutcheon. Her name is Hershey.

Attachments

·
2,203 Posts
My ultimate favorite cross is an Alpine buck over a Saanen doe. You get an attitude combination from both sassy and sweet, a large body with extreme depth, great udder texture from the Alpine, the production from the Saanen, and the milk sweetness from the Alpine as well. I especially like the cream colored ones (Saanen biased).

By the way, this girl in the pic is a FF. Look at that body. This year we purposely purchase an Alpine buck and will be working with experimental for more of these girls. Yes she needed Bo-Se for those Pasterns and she's upright on them now. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I guess my favorite cross is a Boer lamancha I love both of their personality and right now I am sooooooo excited because my dappled Boer buck bred me white lamancha so I have my fingers crossed for a dappled lamancha......I have yet to ever see one......I like odd ball things :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I guess my favorite cross is a Boer lamancha I love both of their personality and right now I am sooooooo excited because my dappled Boer buck bred me white lamancha so I have my fingers crossed for a dappled lamancha......I have yet to ever see one......I like odd ball things :)
A dappled lamancha would be super cool!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know what you mean for color! I bred my black and white Nubian buck to my red roan Nubian doe. I am hoping for lots of color!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ohh the odder the color the better for me. I'm stoked to see my kids this year since 2 bucks are new a chocolate color with black background a dapple and the other buck I only got 4 kids out of last year and they were paints......so x mass is coming for me :) January threw march get ready for lots of pictures from me!!!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm going to cross my boer buck and saanen doe sometime in August 2014. I was wondering what they might look like. Not just color, but height and muscle.....Anyone have a picture of that cross?
I would like know how the milk of a saanen/boer is I think it would be compare able to Nubian with maybe high producer?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I would love to see a dapple lamancha I really would love a dapple boer my self

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I've decided to breed my Boer doe to my Pygmy buck. She hasn't gotten real wide yet, so I am afraid if she is bred to a Boer buck the kids would be hard to deliver. So I figured a Pygmy would be a good buck for her because they *should* be easy to deliver. So we'll see what those kids look like! :ROFL:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts