Breed questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by nannysrus, Sep 5, 2014.

1. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Alright I am mighty confused here. I got three doelings a while back from a not so great breeder. Had to pay extra to get papers and so forth. But anyway.

All three of them are suppose to be mini Nubians. Two of them (the twins) I can agree look like 1st gen mini Nubians however.... Little bitty Santana is a whopping 18lbs at almost 7 months old. She is so small. I don't know much characteristics of NDs or pigmys but she surely cannot have Nubian in her with her being this tiny. I am thinking the breeder screwed something up.

ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1409930018.705563.jpg

This is her next to our 3 month old gold laced Cochin roo ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1409930051.530819.jpg

ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1409930123.398849.jpg

My 3 to daughter is only 25lbs and 35" tall to give you can idea on Santana's size. When I get her out today I will measure her height.

Samantha

"5 minutes of fresh air is equivalent to 5 mg Valium"

2. PygmyMom

PygmyMom PygmyMom

Mar 2, 2014
    I don't know much about Nubians. Especially "mini" ones. However that girl looks way too small at 7 months old to even be a ND or pygmy. She doesn't look much bigger than my 3 week old pygmy kids or 2 week old ND kids. She sure is cute though! :)

3. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

I know she is stinking tiny. Idk what to do to make her grow. It's driving me nuts.

Samantha

4. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    Based on both her ears and her size, I'd say it's pretty safe to say she doesn't have much, if any, Nubian in her. Whatever she is, though, she's a cutie. As for her low weight in general, have you done a fecal on her?

5. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Yes. She has been wormed with Ivomec plus and safeguard(3 days in a row). She eats like everything is going out of style. She has browse all day and a lot to choose from. She has hay at night with whatever green clippings I give her. Free choice minerals with kelp. She has free choice alfalfa pellets in her stall. She also gets 1/4 BOSS, 1 tbsp ground flax, 1 cup of fermented grains.

Samantha

6. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Her last fecal came clean for everything. Her poop looks, skin looks good, great membrane color, her horns and feet look good. I just don't know.

Samantha

7. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Oh, we thought she was bred. Vet took blood and said yes however she is showing no signs so I drew blood and sent it to bio tracking- their test come back negative????

Just for info I don't trust my vets office at all. After multiple misdiagnosis' on a mare I have I just don't trust anything from them. They were even wrong on the fecals they did so the last fecals I sent to mid America

Samantha

8. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    Did she have cocci at some point, possibly before you got her? That could slow down her growth rate. Of course, perhaps she's just from slow growing lines.

9. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

That I have no idea about. She came from a pretty funky farm. We got her and the two others because they were in the worse condition and I felt bad for them

Samantha

10. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

Here's some more pictures ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1409937399.780030.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1409937451.427519.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1409937521.371552.jpg ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1409937739.753219.jpg

Samantha

11. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1409938047.676963.jpg

Samantha

12. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    She very well could have a little bit of nubian in her. She doesn't look full nigerian to me and definitely not full pygmy.

Her slow growth may be from being stunted. You say the goats were in bad condition when you got them?

As long as she's healthy now and being fed well, I wouldn't be concerned. She might just be a slow grower too. Some of them just take their time and don't really grow much until they're 1-2 years old. I know I have some slow growers in my herd who don't really mature a whole lot in height or size until they're about 2 years old.

13. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

The only ND I have ever seen literally looked a small barrel with short stout legs and then the only Pygmy I have ever seen was as tall as my boers and I don't think she was a good example at all of the pigmy breed

Samantha

14. Summersun

Summersun Active Member

Apr 24, 2014
    New Mexico
    Its not uncommon for F1 Mini Nubians to have the airplane ears, so the ears don't bother me. I'm really thinking she is just stunted for some reason. I would double check for Cocci or she may have had it before you got her. I have pygmy and pygmy/nigerian mixes. She definitely has some nigerian or pygmy in her.

With F1 your gonna have some look more Nubian and some more nigerian. Thats why they aren't full minis until the 6th generation. To get second generation you would breed her to another F1 or an F2. With her I would go with a F2 with a little more Nubian (like a 75/25% nubian).

15. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1409949266.247634.jpg

This is token. He is registered F2 mini Nubian. ;-) his dam and sire are really strong on the Nubian characteristics but smaller in height. I reserved him a couple months ago. Going to pick him up in the morning. :-D

Samantha

16. lottsagoats

lottsagoats Junior Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Middle Maine
    I, personally, wouldn't breed her just yet, I'd wait another season and see what she does with a bit more maturity on her.

I have a Nubian doe...excellent bloodlines, huge goats on both sides. She is small for a Nubian, about the same size as the 5 month old doelings I have. She was bought as a bottle kid and not cared for very well....never wormed with a real wormer (just the crumbles that most goats won't even eat). They bred her anyway, and then decided they didn't want her. I bought her just to try to help her if there were any problems (I went there to buy layer hens and came home with 5 hens and a goat) Fortunately, she didn't settle.

I did all I could to help her grow, which she did a little. My opinion is that she had too much damage caused by cocci and a heavy worm load during her growing years, so that by the time I got her, she was past her prime growing period. She is now healthy, though it does take a bit more concentrates to keep her in good shape than my others, so I know there is damage to her digestive tract. Her kids are born tiny and grow fast. They are normal sized when grown. And boy, can this doe produce milk! When she first freshens, she is all udder! From the rear she looks like a pyramid.:-o

17. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

I'm waiting on late fall/early November of 2015 to breed Santana "if" I breed her. Her current owner contacted me after I bought her and said she was in with a buckling. So I thought her being bred maybe why she isn't growing. Santana is tiny. She is 13" tall and weight 19lbs yesterday.

My buck that I wanted to breed her to once she is older comes from fairly refined body structures. I don't expect him to have a wide frame at all.. I have not seen any of my doelings in heat so it kind of worries me :-(

Samantha

18. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

It doesn't just worried me it makes me sick. I'm worried enough about my boers kidding soon and they are all experienced does.

Samantha

19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Seriously only 19 lbs? I would be giving Lutalyse if that is the case. She is way too small to successfully deliver.

20. nannysrus

nannysrus New Member

She was exactly 19lbs yesterday. She is soooo tiny. Vet wouldn't give me lute when they were out because they said it was too late. This is a picture of her with my 3yo daughter. My daughter is 35" tall and 25lbs. If you measure her from hip bone to hip bone you get 2 1/2". ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1410272969.939122.jpg

Samantha