The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have six Nubian does and would only like to keep one buck. My doe Penny gave me a very handsome buckling that I would like to use for my herd sire. Penny has a nice udder and gives over a half gallon a milking. I would be very happy to have more does just like her. Please share opinions on breeding her back to him. This will be my first breeding season as I bought all my does bred before.

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
That close of a breeding, I would only do if you plan to put them in the freezer. If you did keep any females, they absolutely would have to be bred to a buck that had no genetics whatsoever related to them.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
Did you that elephants won't breed their mothers? There is an elephant sanctuary near me and they have one day a month that they are open to the public for education. I was talking to one of the keepers/scientists and he said they have done studies on elephants where they present female urine to bulls which gets them excited. When presented with their mothers urine they act surprised then quickly turn from it and walk away in disgust and embarrassment. EVEN if it has been years since they have seen their actual mother.

I wouldn't personally ever breed animals that closely related. Is there anyway you could have mom bred to a neighbors buck for a fee or anything?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only other Nubian in my area - I got one of my does from. She gave me twin buckling this year with split tests. Certainly do not want to pay for that...Also I have all my does tested and would like to maintain a closed herd. These were two more of my considerations when I thought of breeding her to him.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
The only other Nubian in my area - I got one of my does from. She gave me twin buckling this year with split tests. Certainly do not want to pay for that...Also I have all my does tested and would like to maintain a closed herd. These were two more of my considerations when I thought of breeding her to him.
would you be comfortable with selling or processing anything she throws from him? If so then it might be an option.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
when a bull is taken in for AI they often breed to the mother or full sister. this will show any genetic defects that the bull carries, if there are no defects the offspring are often superior.I know we are talking goats here but the same principle applies. so it is basicaly a crap shoot, if you are willing to risk it go ahead. you may get something special or you may get a three headed threep LOL!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Did you that elephants won't breed their mothers? There is an elephant sanctuary near me and they have one day a month that they are open to the public for education. I was talking to one of the keepers/scientists and he said they have done studies on elephants where they present female urine to bulls which gets them excited. When presented with their mothers urine they act surprised then quickly turn from it and walk away in disgust and embarrassment. EVEN if it has been years since they have seen their actual mother.
Fun fact for the day!!! love it!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Well now, yes that is close breeding, but there is not reason why the breeding wouldnt take, and there is not really that much higher defect rate than there is out crossing. A lady I knew had a doe that was over 45% inbred, but she took grand champion in all the shows she went to, she was the most well put together doe in her herd.

I have come across parrot mouths and such with out cross breedings, and have yet to come across one with inbreeding. So just as much bad can come of out crossing, than it can with inbreeding.

Technically inbreeding and linebreeding are the same thing. It is called inbreeding when the results are not so great, and it's called linebreeding when the offspring turn out good.

I have a doe now that is about 30% inbred, and she is put together fairly well, her sire is her grand sire.

And yes, breeding them back to their dam or full sister will show any defects.

If it's your only buck, go for it. I do generally try to keep the inbreeding at 6% or less, but sometimes it doesnt work that way.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Kids only get roughly 27% of their physical characteristics from their parents. Most come from grand parents.

Here we wouldnt do a breeding like that, but thats us. Realistically you should be fine but dont be to surprised if it doesnt turn out.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
. I have a doe whos dad is her grandfather as well, she is a bit over 50% inbred.
so essentially this is what I would have also. only on the mother's side. the offspring's mother will also be her grandmother. In your situation a father bred his daughter correct?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I did a planned pedigree on my buck and his mother. And it came back 28.7% inbred. http://adgagenetics.org/PlannedPedigree.aspx

Yes, in my situation it was father/daughter breeding. I haven't sent her papers in yet, so it may not even be 50%, I'm getting confused with this now :lol: I'm pretty sure they were both 30% though.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts