Breed thoughts and possibly pregnant

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Farmgirl675, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Recently I rescued a doe, Nana. Here is what I know. She was purchased by one family in the spring for their kids to milk, the kids lost interest in about a month so they just quit milking her and put her in with a buck and forgot about her. Next came an older gentleman who aquired both Nana and the buck and they were "very thin", so bad that the buck did not survive the ride 10 miles to his home according to the wife. Nana was nursed back to health but again kept with a buck. I'm unsure of her breed, from my research on the web I believe she is an ALpine? Please if I'm wrong any help would be appreciated.
    Next is.....is she pregnant?? Her udder is quite full and firm but she hasn't been milked since the spring. I assume that as with other animals once milk production stopped the udder would be more "empty" looking. She shows no sign of mastitis,( no heat, hard lumps or dicomfort with touch). I can feel her ligaments near the tail and have tried to feel for kids with little success.......nothing obvious as with my horses and cows. What I'm wondering is that IF she is an Alpine then she would be a seasonal breeder (correct me if I'm wrong) so could she be far enough along to have such an udder?? UGGG I'm so confused!! Wish I knew more about her. Anyways I'll quit rambling for now, thanks in advance for any info.

Here are some pics from this morning. I have more or can take others if these don't show enough!

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    to tell if she is bred or not we need a picture of her pooch (her anus and her vaginal area). Her udder does look full - but if not dried off properly she may still be holding onto milk that was never stripped out of her. But until you know for sure she isnt pregnant then I wouldnt milk her.

as to breed -- thats not a very common Alpine color -- she could be a mix though. How tall is she?

3. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    More info and pics

Nana measures 29" at the withers.

Took a little coaxing but got her to let me take pics of her "pooch"! She must be camera shy :)

Attached Files:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would say yes she is pregnant. Now as for bagging up, I would say that is from this pregnancy. She has I would guess about a month or so. Maybe a bit longer.

In maybe a week or two, I would get her a CDT shot. 2CC subQ.

5. Farmgirl675

Farmgirl675 New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    If she was not dried off properly and there is old milk left in the udder will that cause an issue with colostrum for the kids if she is pregnant? If I were to milk some off her is it possible to distinguish between old milk and colostrum?

6. Squires

Squires New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Leave her alone -- her body will work it all out. Don't touch the milk until she's kidded. Her body will reabsorb old milk and prepare new colostrum. Don't complicate things -- she's healthier with closed teats (there should be a plug there now).

As soon as the kids are born, you will want to squeeze out the plugs (just squeeze out a squirt or two of whatever is there) -- get the teat working again and either help the babies find the teat, or collect the colostrum (if you are planning on bottle feeding and/or CAE eradication).

Just in case, you might want to have some sort of milk-replacer around. Sometimes a goat with mastitis or CAE will have a meaty udder that gives no milk. It is hard to tell since you don't know what she was like last year, what her normal udder looks like lactating or dry, etc.

There is a virus, CAE, which is usually transmitted in colostrum, milk or blood from a goat to its kids (and occasionally to other goats -- but we aren't sure how likely that is). A lot of goats carry CAE but it never becomes active, they never have antibodies, until the animal is very stressed. Nana sounds like she was really stressed this year. The virus, if it there and IF it becomes active, can cause crippling arthritis and lung disease, meaty unproductive udders and stuff in older goats, and encephalitis is young kids. Again, it may not be there, it may be there and be inactive, or it may be there and be active.

Some extension agents recommend testing all new goats for CAE, CL, Brucellosis and something else (I think TB). I have a goat that was given to me because she had a borderline positive CAE test, so she and some buddies are kept quarantined until I am sure, and the babies will be taken from their moms at birth and fed an artificial colostrum (made from cow blood) and a milk-replacer. I will probably be doing CAE tests on all my goats every six months until I am sure who does or does not have CAE. Even negative animals can carry it, and it may not show up for years.

I will be using this company which only charges $7.50 per pregnancy test and $4 per CAE test -- <http://www.biotracking.com/> They can even tell you how to take the blood sample yourself if you want to -- there is a page on the web showing how a nine year old girl takes blood from her goat. Or you can have your vet do it and/or use a local lab.

A pregnancy test will tell you for sure if she is pregnant, and a CAE test will tell you if you need to bottle feed babies on replacer and pasteurize the colostrum or use an artificial colostrum to keep the kids from getting the CAE virus from her -- if she has it and it is active.

I hope I haven't made this sound more complicated than it is. I just think it is good to know things in advance. Makes for a healthier herd of goats, and fewer problems down the road.

Best wishes,
    Chris

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    well chris covered a lot

just wanted to pop in and say she looks alpine to me and that I'd say she has 2-3 weeks to go!

8. Squires

Squires New Member

Sep 14, 2010
    :whatgoat: I just have to ask -- what is it about her that you can tell she is due? Is it the mysterious "Pooch test" -- and is it OK to discuss the nitty gritty and describe what to look for?

I know that with most mammals, the cervix gets really tight and sometimes looks blue because it closes up to hold the babies in for pregnancy -- so blood flow is slow and turns it blue! With my sheep, I'm terrible at telling unless I make a note when they are bred or marked by the ram (put paint on the brisket and he marks all his girlfriends -- then you just go look for colorful butts every day and write it on the calendar), and then if they are on very good nutrition they are early, and if not so great they are a little later -- or if they have lots of babies at once they will be a little later. They will get looser and puffiier and pinker in the pooch when about to lamb -- but sometimes they just do that anyway. But sheep have totally fooled me as to their due date if I didn't note the day they were bred or marked. :shades:

Oh -- I have heard people complain of their goats appearing to come into heat every month while pregnant, and then giving birth on the correct date anyway. Gosh, this is confusing! :GAAH:

So . . . how to tell on the goats? Is there a secret to looking at the pooch and determining due date? I'm dieing to learn! :)

Chris