BREEDING AGE FOR PYGMYS

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by KFOWLER, Dec 30, 2010.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    At what age is it safe to breed pygmys?? I have a doe born that was born in March of this year. I am going to guess she is a full blood or close to full blood pygmy. All the guy had that I bought her from was pygmys. She is still small enough she can squeeze thru a panel fence...and does this frequently!!! Just curious as to what age I can put her with the buck.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I personally have not bred before 12-15 months old. Pygmies are just too iffy when it comes to build, some grow fast while others take their time.

3. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    OK...thanks!!!! :thumb:

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    No younger than a year and a half. ;) That's the best for Pygmies. Unless they are extra small, then wait awhile longer.

5. TiffofMo

TiffofMo New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    SW Missouri
    Total of topic but Kfowler do you teach?? My DD Teacher is KFowler. We live over in SW Mo

6. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I'm with Tara, I usually don't breed earlier that 18 mos -- although I have a little doeling that turned a year in Nov. and I'm pretty sure she's bred when someone left a gate open-- grrrr. BTW, pygmies continue to grow in size and develop until they are at least 2 yo, in my exp.