The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I breed when they are 80lbs or more, they normally hit that weight before the age I breed them at though, 7-8 months. But it is really important to breed by weight, but also do not breed them before they are 7-8 months either.

·
14,615 Posts
Since kidding is usually Jan-March by the time they are big enough & old enough they are about a yr & a 1/2.

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
A lot of people say you should breed by weight not age, and I agree. Little Bits is right, about 80 pounds should be right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Were getting some new doea monday and they r about 7 mo old.... so well have to weigh them and go from there. Thank you so much! I never thought of weight before age!

·
Amber
1,339 Posts
I do both age and weight.

No one gets bred under a year

No one gets bred under 80-90 lbs

·
1,384 Posts
we breed 9 months and at least 90 lbs, If they are not that age and size by October/November to be bred to kid March/April, then we skip htem and wait until next breeding season, which would be the following August for us. Often we will have 2 or 3 we will breed and a couple that are too young/too small. Our main herd is Bred to kid January/February. Then if someone is missed we will put them with the yearlings and kid them March/April. We pull all bucks out from the does so no one kids later than May 1st.

·
1,384 Posts
It should be noted that if you show you need to wait until they are 15 to 18 months old to breed them. We do not show our breeding stock animals, just the kids.

·
14,760 Posts
We like to breed about 10mo/100+lbs. that gives them time to grow and mature a little, especially mentally.
We've bred at 8mo/100lbs. with no problems, the doe was very mature minded.

We have a Jan & Feb doe we are planning to breed towards the end of the year for late spring kids. The 6mo is 100lbs. and the 5mo is probably about 75lbs. right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts