Breeding and Kidding questions...

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Kfin, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Kfin

Kfin New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Canyon, TX
    Since this is all very new to me, I have picked out the farm I am going to use the bucks from but have not picked out the bucks I plan on using yet. But when is good time to breed? Also how many kids do Lamanchas usually have? And what should I do for feeding them before breeding and after?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when you breed is determined by when you want yoru does to kid. I like kiddings to start in April so I dont allow my does to breed until November.

Lamanchas as first fresheners tend to have singles but twins are not out of the question. Twins for 2nd, 3rd etc fresheners is common. But if they come from lines that have more like 3-4 that is possible as well but 2 is the norm.

I would be feeding them a good 16% grain - not to much because you dotn want them to be to fat going into breeding.

Does should get some grain during pregnancy I have my way of doing things while others do things differently. But for me I didnt feed grain in larger amounts till the last two months of pregnancy and then I upped it to approx 1lb of feed. now my minis I feed differently - I feed them the most grain during days 60-120 and cut back to like 1 cup in the last month. This is to keep teh kids size more reasonable and easily delivered. I feed a good quality alfalfa hay through out pregnancy.