The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm interested in breeding my Nigerian dawrf/ pygmy goat with another Nigerian dawrf I'd like to have a little one and try milk but I've never done it so wonder what do I need to know? We have sheep and just had 2 lamps so we have some experience of birth. I'm interested in the milk just for us to have. I have two goats right now ones a weather and they are both 1 year

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been raising Nigerian Dwarf goats for several years now, and I have bred my does when they are 9 months. In my opinion, as long as they are healthy and at least 1.5 years old when they give birth, you should be able to have them bred. Also something you should know, Nigerian does are year-round breeders and should be able to get pregnant at any time. From my experiences, healthy does can get pregnant as early as 3-5 months old. Also, young bucks can be fertile as soon as 7 weeks old! Good luck with your breeding and milking.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I breed for first kidding at a little over a year, often. But I don’t go by age-I go by size. I have Alpines and generally breed when they are 100 pounds, which is about 2/3 of what their adult weight will be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi I'm interested in breeding my Nigerian dawrf/ pygmy goat with another Nigerian dawrf I'd like to have a little one and try milk but I've never done it so wonder what do I need to know? We have sheep and just had 2 lamps so we have some experience of birth. I'm interested in the milk just for us to have. I have two goats right now ones a weather and they are both 1 year
Where are you located do you already have a buck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts