The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a ram that was born around April 2013 and 4 ewes born in Feb 2013. At what age could we start breeding the ewes. I read somewhere that you should wait until the ewes are full grown at two years old? They have been living together since we got them this summer. There haven't been any "signs" of the breeding yet. :/ Although for the past two weeks the ram has been separated because of a broken leg ): He should be ok in a week or so. Should i keep him away from the ewes until they are older? Does anyone have any experience with breeding sheep. It is all pretty new to me. Thanks

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I have Katahdins and wait till they're almost a year old before breeding. Are Babydolls miniature? in that case I would certainly wait till after a year old so they are large enough to be able to handle the pregnancy and delivery, although I have no experience with small sheep.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I know Kylee (KW Farms) has babydoll sheep. Might want to message her on facebook and see what age she plans on breeding hers. I agree, I would wait till they are at least a year till you breed them, since they are mini.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I will def keep them separated when the ram heals. He has a wether he can hang with :) and I'll try to be in touch with Kylee. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
If they are, give them a nice long break so they can catch up on growth. Also, on facebook, search for 'Kylee Wilcox' and not KW Farms. She's also a member on here, under the name KW Farms. She is just not on here as often, that's why I suggested facebook :)

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
I just started raising these Babydoll sheep. We'll hopefully be breeding our ewes for the first time this winter. They are a year and a half old. I have two 2013 ram lambs that are good sized, hoping they get the job done. The breeder I got them from said she likes to breed the ewes at two years, but mine are good size now and I am not hesitating to breed them at a year and a half. We'll see how it goes. The sheep are pretty new to me so i'm still learning as well...these will be our first lambs next year.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I hope they aren't pregnant! I will def keep them separated from here on out since they aren't even a year old yet. :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts