The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should you wait to breed back a doe that had toxemia? We had to induce our 3 yr old doe who came down with toxemia to save her. She is boer and was preggo with quads. One kid survived but other three only lived hours. The survivor is not with mom. I don't know what her recovery time needs to be.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,769 Posts
Its kinda your call. I'm sure most would still stick to their only breed once a year rule but me depending on her condition would breed back sooner.....like wait maybe 3 months then breed back but its hard to say without looking at her. What ever you do decide watch her and make sure she doesn't get too fat or you have a high chance of the same thing going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. She is in good but she delivered 11/30 so it's only been a few weeks. I was hoping to breed her back mid January. U just wasn't sure if it was long enough time to recover.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,769 Posts
You can try but she may not even come into heat that soon. I had a doe loose her kids one year and tried to breed back early and she didn't kid till 10 months later. I would still give it a try and see what happened.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I certainly don't want to endanger her life. I just sacrificed her kids for her with this pregnancy. She will just have to wait awhile longer. Thanks again!
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top