The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age do most of you breed your boer does? This will be my first year with boers so I am just curious what most of you do and when you think they are ready for breeding. I have waited until after my Nubians were over a year old to breed them, but I am thinking most breed the boers younger than that?

·
14,725 Posts
I think it might depend on what you plan to use them for?

My kids breed so they can have 4-H babies. If they don't plan on showing a doe again, we'll breed her as soon as we think she's ready.
Sort of a rule for us is 8mo/100lbs like ogfabby.
Preferably, I like them to be as close to a year old as possible.
Most every doe we've owned has kidded as a young yearling, and none have had a problem kidding. We've only had 1 that has been a not so great mama, but she is raising 2 of her 3 babies.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't breed until they are 1 1/2 years, so they kid at 2. Some breeders do breed at a year, but no younger, and only if they are big already.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I don't raise Boers, but I breed around a year old so they kid at around 18 months of age.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If they were all born in October or November, a year old would be an easy choice, but most goats are born between January and April. Some might come in heat in February and March and others not. And then do you want your young doe to kid in July? Maybe, maybe not. ;)
Very true.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts