The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month buck which I have just introduced to my herd (7 does) but he is not at all interested and the ladies are getting quite frustrated. Any advice?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i should give him a few days before i try to replace him.
Or weeks?
I have also brought in my ram for the sheep and the does are after him like crazy. So I separated the ram until the buck gets the hang of it then i'll let him out with the rest of the herd.
Any thoughts in that?

·
Registered
355 Posts
wow I'm surprised at his behavior.. I wish I had more experience to add to the discussion. If those does are flagging and rubbing on him and he's not reacting back, I personally would ask for my money back. That probably isn't the right advice to give, it's just how I would proceed. The only other thought would be someone is bullying him and you haven't seen it yet. I have some does that bully the young bucklings and they will stay off to the side while my seniors have first pick. Wish you lots of luck!

and by bully I mean those older does will beat the tar out of those young bucks in the night and I'll find them walking the fence line opposite of all the other goats.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I only have one buck and one ram ( they grew up together) but the ram is doing just fine with the ewes. The buck is very disinterested and the does are VERY interested in the ram. But now that i've removed the ram and we'll give the buck a few days. Maybe he'll get interested.

·
14,615 Posts
He should be in rut. I'd give him some time, they don't always perform their manly duties for an audience.
Keep your eye out for messy tails & leg prints on your does.
My boy was 7 mos old & serviced everyone just fine & it didn't happen overnight.
Older does can certainly be rough on the young whippersnapper so watch for any intimidation going on but he should establish himself soon.
I'd venture to say that since he is new its just normal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
when are young buck was in the pen with the does to long he lost interest. can you put him up alone next to them till he figures it out? is he lip curling yet? He's maybe to young, introduce one to him in his pen and see what happens after a day or two probably next cycle to be honest, just my opinion :)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only saw his lip curling once or twice.
I'll give him time.

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
So i should give him a few days before i try to replace him.
Or weeks?
I have also brought in my ram for the sheep and the does are after him like crazy. So I separated the ram until the buck gets the hang of it then i'll let him out with the rest of the herd.
Any thoughts in that?
I would give him more time than a few days. We had a buck kind of like that except he would get rather excited but wouldn't mount. about 21/2 to 3 weeks into it he started mounting our does. So don't despair yet! You have a chance!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts