Breeding compatiblity question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Dreamchaser, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have some different alpines with different body types. I'm not sure what to breed for exactly. I have a type in mind that I want to breed for, but not sure how to obtain it.

Doe #1, not very dairy, but her main advantage is she has rear legs!!! (if you look at most alpines, you understand what I'm saying) I am looking to breed alpines with stronger rear legs. She is also very long. Head is not very nice, but she has smaller ears, which is nice. She's not terribly wide or deep, but not real narrow either.

Doe #2 Not yet sure about her. I know she won second place at a show once. She is very dairy, though not very big. My thought is that she was stunted. I'm still trying to get her condition up, she's a mess. She's not very wide at all, but she is very long. Head is nice, but has long ears.

Doe #3 Not registered. :( But she is very wide, and deep. She's tall and has a gorgeous head, medium ears. I don't know anything about her udder, as I have not bred her. She is older, so I probably only have 1 or 2 breedings with her. Has posty rear legs, but so far, that is my only complaint.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd say to see what strengths your buck has as far as breed character and go from there, if you can retain a doeling from each doe and see how she matures, and this way you'll know firsthand what your buck is capable of improving with each of your does.

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have 2 bucks now. I have a massive french alpine, who is pretty nice. Then I have my buckling, who I don't know what he will end up looking like until he finishes growing.