The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning:
I have a doe who ever since breeding her a few years ago, is very buckish. She doesn’t have strong heats either. I’ve tried to breed her with just a cidr then breed…that hasn’t worked in the past. She and her daughter were in with buck for quite awhile. Daughter is bred. She is not.

I’m pretty sure she has cystic ovaries. Now we are ‘taking off the gloves’ so to speak and trying everything we can to get her bred this month. This will be our last attempt and if she can’t be bred then we will sell her as a pet probably. Not sure what else to do.

We have placed a CIDR. So next steps would be lut and pg600 correct? Should we also give cysterillyn?(Forgive my misspelling)

Has anyone had experience breeding a cystic ovary doe?? What did you do to successfully breed?

Thank you in advance for your help!! Our vet doesn’t have experience with this.

·
Fair-Haven
5,136 Posts
If your university vet school close to you would answer questions, you may try reaching out to them...... I've just done the CIDR and the lute, but with a problem doe, you want to cover all your bases - and perhaps a show breeder - they often deal with this....best wishes.

·
Super Moderator
32,973 Posts
Here is a bit of reading I have been looking at.. I too have a doe that won't settle.. she had a false pregnancy and since wont settle.. I'm thinking she is dealing with Luteal cysts. Hope this helps. It's from the goat extention web site I believe.

Reproductive failure can result when hormones are not produced in the correct amount or in the right pattern or if no egg is produced and released from the ovary. Ovaries can become cystic (both follicular and luteal, so either before or after ovulation). In does with follicular cysts, which are rare, the follicle with the egg grows but there is failure of ovulation, or release of the egg. This type of cyst usually results in females that are always in heat. This may be related to problems with the hormone that causes ovulation known as luteinizing hormone. Even though this type of cyst is hard to treat, large doses of LH/hCG or GnRH followed by a dose of prostaglandin 10-14 days later, might be effective. See your veterinarian for use of drugs not labeled for goats.

Luteal cysts can occur when the corpus luteum (CL) fails to regress (go away) and becomes filled with fluid such that hormone secretion is altered. Poor uterine health resulting in low prostaglandin secretion could cause this problem. Luteal/CL cysts can lead to pregnancy loss, a dead, mummified fetus, infection, and even pseudopregnancy (fake pregnancy). Luteal cysts usually go away eventually, but prostaglandin (available commercially as Lutalyse©) administration might be used to lyse the CL.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
What I am told is needed is cystorelin 1-2cc IM at time of breeding to help open the follicles to release the eggs.

I am not super familiar with these drugs. I hope this at least gives you a direction to look into.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you carlee for this info. We are going to use the cystorelin.
I heard from a university large animal vet this wk. she was like a intern I think. Anyway she wrote this info:

If you want a clear diagnosis as to what is going on internally with —-,a CT scan of her abdomen (including reproductive organs) would give us a 3-D image of what exactly she has going on. I cannot diagnose her with ovarian cysts (I am assuming you were meaning luteal cysts) over the phone. However, —- has made it clear that she would like to try hormonal therapy that includes the use of Cystorelin to rid —- of what she suspects are ovarian cysts. After discussing a "game plan" with the other doctors on staff using the CIDR —- has had in since Sunday (1/9), here is what might work best:

Keep the CIDR in for 8 total days.
On the 8th day, remove CIDR and give an intramuscular shot of Lutalyse (1 cc for a large goat such as a Boer, 0.5 cc for a Pygmy) at the same time as CIDR removal.
If placed on the morning of 1/9, remove it on the morning of 1/17.
If placed on mid-day of 1/9, remove it mid-day of 1/17.
If placed in the evening of 1/9, remove it in the evening of 1/17.
On the 10th day (48 hours after removal of the CIDR), give an intramuscular shot of Cystorelin (follow above-stated dosing as for Lutalyse).
The day after the Cystorelin she can be teased with the buck. She should be in heat within 24-48 hours of the Cystorelin shot.

I also failed to write down what breed of goat —- is, so that is why I gave ranges of volume of drugs to give. Please wear gloves when handling and administering these hormones as they can affect human reproductive cycles and/or have negative side effects for humans. Wash any skin it may touch thoroughly with soap and water.

If she does not come into heat, we strongly recommend a CT scan to give us a better idea of what is going on inside of —-. For a goat, a visit at OSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital with a CT scan would be roughly $150.

Thank you and good luck,

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I will keep this group posted. Hoping all goes well. And hoping it’s just cysts.

Cathy what other behaviors does your doe exhibit? Is she buckish when the other does go into heat? Is she overweight and can’t take weight off? My doe just eats hay and pasture basically. But nothing I’ve tried to do really takes off weight on her. She’s around 270. I’m hoping this cyst med works.

·
Super Moderator
32,973 Posts
Cathy what other behaviors does your doe exhibit? Is she buckish when the other does go into heat? Is she overweight and can’t take weight off? My doe just eats hay and pasture basically. But nothing I’ve tried to do really takes off weight on her. She’s around 270. I’m hoping this cyst med works.
She acts pretty normal. She's is fit condition..not really over weight. She's a big girl like her mom was. I have not taped her recently but should do that.
No buck behavior past the normal stuff does innheat do. She's every 21 days cycle. And has a Precocious udder. Not really loose but pretty well formed. I'm leaning toward possible Luteal cysts since she did have that false pregnancy past summer.
It doesn't help I think that our boys are Nigies and hard to get the girls settled as it is. Lol

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,973 Posts
Thank you. I really want her to take. I have her younger sister and she's kidded once and Is bred for spring while this stinker keeps messing with me 🙄 her Dam is a show girl with lots of stars and letters lol. I don't show So I have no idea what they mean lol.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We don’t show either. But try to get good pedigree for people who want to show our does’s babies.

I hope all works out with your doe! I know you use a lot of herbs etc I think. Are you planning to try to get her settled with something like the cidr etc protocol that I posted above? Or try to get her to settle naturally with herbs/essential oils? If you said already what you plan to do I’m sorry if I missed that info. I don’t have time for natural route. We don’t want fall babies again.

We plan to ultrasound our doe again Sunday. Then if nothing seen still we’d pull cidr and give lute on Monday late afternoon and cystorelin on Wednesday. Then she should go into heat on thur/Fri. I’m hoping this protocol cleans out whatever is causing her to not get pregnant and hoping she will be Preg this cycle.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today we pull cidr and give lute shot! Ultrasound her yesterday and nothing. Was making sure we didn’t miss anything. But we didn’t.
Pretty excited to see if this works and she gets pregnant!!
Interestingly…the cidr has made her be much less buckish it seems like. Which sorta confirms to me that this has to be ovarian cysts.
Will see how today goes!

·
Super Moderator
32,973 Posts
I'm going to need to do some reading on natural ways to help my doe but I'm not opposed to using other treatments if needed.

Good luck with your girl 🤞🤞

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cathy: yeah I understand. If we had more time (didn’t get natural stuff going months ago. Should have done that)I think I would have maybe tried natural stuff first. But we didn’t and now need to try this. Hoping it works.

Thanks everyone! We are hoping this works. We pulled cidr and gave lute today. Cystorelin will be given Wednesday with her going into buck stall on Thursday.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts