Breeding date? Remove him?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by rebelshope, Sep 30, 2008.

1. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Okay, I got two bred does and a buck a last Thursday. I had planned to keep them seperate from my unbred doe for about two week. Well weather turned bad yesterday and the tarp I put up for the other goats was leaking so I put them all together yesterday.

The buck was chasing my unbred doe for awhile. Today he seems more mellow and is not bothering her. Should I put that down as a date? Should I remove him? I could move him to the other pen with one of the does he came with. Or should I just leave them all together?

Any general advice?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    did you witness any breeding, or is there evidence of it?

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    He may have bred her, but she may not even be in season. Can you look at her rear and see anything back there? I would doubt she got bred unless she is in a good heat right now. I would go ahead and seperate her again and wait til you want her bred. I would save the date so you will know which breeding dates are possible.

4. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    A buck will naturally chase a doe around for the first either 2 hours or for an entire day. However, if she is swollen in her chacha, and she is wagging her tail and rubbing on him and *clearing throat* bumping him with her backend, then she probably was bred.

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I agree with everyone else. Check to see if there is any "evidence" of breeding and then go from there. I would write down the date as a possibility. . . . our buck usually always chases the doe around, even if she is not in heat. We did have one doe who didn't act like she was in heat yesterday, ran away from him, but then he "convinced" her, I guess - she got bred, and hunched, I saw it. So. . . . yeah. Do does in heat sometimes still run from the buck? I know I probably would, he looked pretty intimidating and this was her first time. . . . any thoughts on that?

6. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    2 of my does ran from the buck even though they were in raging heat. I knew standing heat was like pretty much right then because I had written down when they had gone in heat and I watch them everyday. With those two does I finally had to go in there and hold then while he did his earthly duty. They both conceived. I think the key thing is watching them like crazy and writing down when they go into heat. :shrug:

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I had a doe last week that "Joe" chased a little bit, then she ran off, stopped, looked at him - they did their thing, she hunched, and then never wanted another thing to do with him!

Then I had a doe that allowed "Joe" to try his way with her, flagging and everything - but when I brought "her" buck out - she wanted nothing to do with him - so put her in the milk stand for breeding - Now THAT ticked her off - LOL! This was 5 days ago. Last night she did the same thing - liked "joe" but not "lil man" (her buck) so I made them "spend the night" together - and there was evidence of breeding this morning! Now if it was "fun" or breeding - don't know for sure.

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    So, I can be pretty positive she was bred but just watch for a five-day heat? I hope she doesn't as the buck is at the farm and I brought my girls back with me. . . . . please settle Lyla!! Oh, I'm about 99% sure Claribelle got bred, Royal didn't show any interest in her after that day and her "whoo-whoo" is very swollen looking and she's not in heat now. So, babies in February!! Yeah! :cool: :stars: :clap:

9. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    my Lamancha is the easiest doe to breed---- when she's in heat, she's every man's lady. Last year she tried to mount the buck . . . and then one of my Nubian's (this was a doe I bred :)) hated the buck so much that while I was holding her she tried to rear up on me . . . so every goat is different, I suppose.

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Thank, I witnessed one "breeding" she hutched, but I am not sure that he . . . um . . . got it in. The next day I saw seamen around her vulva. So I wrote down the date. She is not standing off from the rest of the other goats. Poor girl feels violated. She wouldn't even come up the the fence this morning because all the other goats where there. I was planning on keeping him with the girls this winter and then separating them in the spring. I worry about him getting cold by himself. The plan was to keep on of the kids I have in the spring as a wether with him.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My pygmy buck was by himself for 3 years...he has his own shed and yard but what I did to ensure he was warm was I built him a table against the wall, his hay rack is on the wall above so he can stand thereand eat, but I also boxed in his table...creating a shelter inside his shelter....he goes in his box to sleep and stays toasty warm because it's a much smaller area to keep warm. Now I have 2 young boys with him and he still prefers to stay by himself....lots of dry bedding is a plus too.