The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to take my Oberhasli Doe to the breeder around Thanksgiving. Is that too late?? I was thinking beginning of May would be fine for Kidding since it's pretty crappy here until then. But someone told me that if I wait that long she may not breed....??? I'm used to Cattle that breed year round, so I don't see why that would be "too late" the breeder is giving her Lut. when I drop her off and then if she doesn't come in heat off of that shot then will give her 8 days later and see if she comes off of that shot.

Also, when I called the breeder to ask her a few things, she asked me if my doe was still milking. And I replied, yes, she is. She paused for a moment and then said, oh, ok, that's fine I guess. I don't get it, I thought goats milked 305 days. In that case I wouldn't be drying her up until February. I'm confused, should I dry her up once she's pregnant?? or wait until 2months before freshening like I originally had thought??

ALso, a feeding question. She is pretty thin right now. She didnt' like her grain for a while so now im playing catch up. Her grain mix is
2 parts oats/barley
1 part Alfalfa pellets
1 part BOSS
then she gets free choice Manna pro mineral (that she hates) and free choice Redmans' salt & free choice Kelp (which she LOVES)
then she gets some good grassy/alfalfa mix hay during the day and im going to start feeding her 4th crop alfalfa hay at night also now. But she needs some more weight on her. Should I increase the hay or feed ALL Alfalfa hay or increase grain?? She only eats about 1.5 lbs of grain right now. sometimes she doesnt' even finish it. Or I could go with a 16% sweet feed from the Mill that's a complete feed. I kinda like mixing my own because I don't like to use corn, which I'm sure is in the Sweet Feed, but perhaps she might gain more on that because she might like it better???

Sorry for the random questions, figured id put them all in one thread.......:greengrin:

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
Are you leaving her at the breeders that they would have to milk her? They may not want to milk if she is staying. Your doe should still have time to breed at that point.

Your feed mix sounds good. You could always up the alfalfa pellets and/or you could add some Calf Manna to the mix. It would be fine to go with straight alfalfa hay for her. Adding a tablespoon of safflower oil over her grain mix might help too. How many times per day are you feeding her?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
You know...I keep wondering about the breeding time thing too. I've had kids from January thru July before so I know they'll come in season for more than 1 month of the year! And we're bred for November babies this year...

I'm curious as to the milking thing too. I don't see anything wrong with your plan and have heard a lot of people around here do that same thing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, she is staying at the breeders until she comes into heat and is bred. But the breeder has like 30 goats of her own, so I don't see why ONE More would be a pain. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
I feed her grain once per day when she is on the milking stand in the morning. I only milk once per day.
I can try adding some Safflower oil and see how that goes. It is a bit dry, maybe that would help. Should I feed her twice per day?? I could feed her on the stand when I bring them in from the pasture at night. She's a SLOW eater though.

I think I am sticking with drying her up end of February if she's carrying a May kid. That's 60days, which seems adequate time. Or if get sick of milking her before then when its like -20 degrees and 10' of snow, I'll dry her up then. :D
I was thnking of drying her up before Xmas because we live 2+hrs away from family and really want to spend Xmas by our family but we can't because I have to be home every morning to milk her and can't find anyone to relief milk for me. I dont' know, we will see when we get that far I guess.

·
Super Moderator
58,855 Posts
Will any of the breeder's goats be in milk? You may want to ask if she will be milking any at the time you bring her.

I would feed her twice a day if you need to get weight on her. You really want that weight on her before getting pregnant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts