The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice nigerian buck, who has thrown some pretty kids this year. I want to use him to breed out this year what is a normal fee? Do you charge for does staying over night, if so how much? I would want to cover feed costs atleast...

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do you have them sign kind of agreement regarding injuries? Not sure of the ins and outs???

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I would never allow my buck to breed any does but mine, too much risk of disease.

·
2,203 Posts
I have a written contract I have them sign. I set up a date between parties. I physically show them the buck, explain chances of disease, that we treat and test accordingly, have them walk the fence line and point out anything they feel the doe will escape or get hurt and help me secure that area, and also explain to them doe should be quarantined after getting home as well. I ask them to supply their own feed, or will tally up a total for hay and grain consumption (if requested). I answer any questions they have, and we either agree upon an ov sync program, or all natural bring her on over program. Lol At this point, we go through and make sure they understand a doe's cycle and heat signs. We also offer an additional "repeat heat" program here as well to try to please our customer base.

Name
Date
Duration of stay

Doe Being Serviced:
Registration # if applicable.
(Pedigree reviewed after getting the number as to ensure inbreeding %)

Buck Being Used:
Breed/Color
Registration #

MegMa Farms is not liable for bodily injury or disease on the doe. I completely agree and understand that having your doe stay here during the duration of ____ till ____ to get serviced by the shown buck for a stud fee total of $__.__ . Understood if the doe comes back into heat, the doe did not take, and should be rebred if requested, please let MegMa know. I also agree to let MegMa know the result at kidding time for their personal books. I have asked what need be and understand I may call MegMa at any time. I also understand the doe needs to be picked up on scheduled date and paid in full prior to her leaving the property.

Signed and dated
Printed name underneath.

I sign and date the bottom. We then make a copy. I keep the original, they get the copy.

Depends on how feed prices look for the time, how much quality is in my buck, how long and where she stays (I have two pens to select from, pasture or dry lot with run in), and what the person wants supplied to do in terms of labor. I sit down with the customer and we go through it all and make sure we agree upon a price prior to letting the doe on site.

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a written contract I have them sign.

Name
Date

Doe Being Serviced:
Registration # if applicable.
(Pedigree reviewed after getting the number as to ensure inbreeding %)

Buck Being Used:
Breed/Color
Registration #

MegMa Farms is not liable for bodily injury on the doe. You completely agree and understand that having your doe stay here during the duration of ____ till ____ to get serviced by the shown buck for a fee total of $__.__ . Understood if the doe comes back into heat, the doe did not take, and should be rebred.
Thank you! What do you charge??? Do you require clean bill of health and cae testing!

·
2,203 Posts
Thank you! What do you charge??? Do you require clean bill of health and cae testing!
Sorry jumped the gun on posting, I wasn't quite done. Lol

Charges for one customer last year was a $60 service fee, plus $10 for feed (she stayed one week with quality hay, and grain), and and extra $5 "handling" fee for us. Totalled $75 for one week. No repeat on this. Resulted in triplets. Totally worth is financially for the customer.

Yes I require an official vet slip with contact number so I can call and speak in person. Negative Johne's, no CL active lumps allowed, and I do allow positive CAE does that are not in milk as well. I have preference to negative CAE but charge a few dollars extra for positive. I will allow does in milk (negative tests) but also charge a few dollars extra as well in that scenario. I also usually milk them last and freeze their milk for them. I get weird about feeding our family (animals included) milk from other people's does that I do not see how they live or eat. Lol

·
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok thank you! No one has ever had an issue when you require the clean bill of health. I have a closed herd at this time and we are cae fee and ca free so I don't want any chance of either coming on to the property but my husband said I need to start making some money to help with the feed!

·
2,203 Posts
Ok thank you! No one has ever had an issue when you require the clean bill of health. I have a closed herd at this time and we are cae fee and ca free so I don't want any chance of either coming on to the property but my husband said I need to start making some money to help with the feed!
We don't have issues after breeding, but always knowing it's a possibility helps you watch for things of that nature.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I only require the clean bill of health. They bring their doe over if its just one, the buck breeds several times, and they're on their way. If its more than one, they sign a contact and they take my buck to their house, it they don't bring my buck back they face lawsuits. But they always bring him back so I've never had to sue.

And I don't believe in the "closed herd" thing. That means you never bring new goats to your property, which means you'll never have new bloodlines, so your only option is to massively inbreed. Even with AI you can give your doe a disease.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts