The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always wanted to try and get some paints in my small herd but I want to try and get it through breeding not by purchasing a new one unless I have to....I have two traditional doe’s and I am curious what type of buck would I be able to breed them with to get paints?? Would it have to be a paint buck?? Would I be able to get some sort of coloring if I bred them with a solid brown buck??

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You’d probably have better luck getting paint kids from a paint buck, but you’ll still probably get some trads. We get plenty of paints and solids from our trad does to solid bucks.

Always make sure you’re focused on conformation and performance over color.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Know the pedigree, if they have a lot of color in their genetics, the odds are more, of getting color, however, if the other goat being bred to, has all traditional genetic lines, your odds just went down. Traditionals are pretty dominate.

I had a solid genetic traditional doe, she only gave me 2 paints through all the years of breeding. I have tried her with many colored bucks too.

Color genetics on both sides, Sire and dam, so, their sires and dams must have a good amount of color in genetics in close pedigree ect, play a key role in getting color, but even then, with traditional does, with no color genetics, it might or might not happen. ;)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yes sounds so easy doesnt it? Look past the color:heehee: for me..thats practically imposible. A tiger stripe?? Lace covered doeling:eek:mg:..dappled or multicoloerd with moo :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:s spots..what confirmation? What is confirmation..:wow:!
So yes ladies VERY GOOD SOUND EDUCATED INFORMATIVE DEAD TO RIGHTS INFORMATION.
i still have trouble getting past the color!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Yes sounds so easy doesnt it? Look past the color:heehee: for me..thats practically imposible. A tiger stripe?? Lace covered doeling:eek:mg:..dappled or multicoloerd with moo :hubbahubba::hubbahubba:s spots..what confirmation? What is confirmation..:wow:!
So yes ladies VERY GOOD SOUND EDUCATED INFORMATIVE DEAD TO RIGHTS INFORMATION.
i still have trouble getting past the color!
Everyone is there at one point! Color is the first thing you see, so it is understandable. Just pretend they're your least favorite color. Would they still be as appealing? That's helped me a lot throughout the years.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
The color thing happens in so many species of domestic animals (even wild animals. A pic of a polkadotted Zebra foal will get way more likes that a regular striped one). It has been the ruin of many blood lines. Do I like flash? Sure, but I would rather have a plain colored, beautifully put together, high producing doe (or buck) than a wildly colored, horribly put together low or mediocre producing animal. When I finally get that wildly colored, prime example of the breed kid born, I am on cloud 9! I am lucky, I got 2 of those this year. WOOHOO!

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Well THANKYOU PRINCESS JESSICA84 OF COW TOE LICKERS VALLEY
(rofl) THats a heck of a compliment...but your kids are all thick & well balanced. Believe me, looking at some of these goats, you can tell who sees past the color. Im honestly struggling. I just love the color patterns, and colors. So. I WILL get there some day. Once I get you & countyline acres to show me color in genetics.
And you :up:miss lottsagoats1..prove it!:heehee:wheres the pictures! Im ready to be dazzled by your colors! Please & thankyou!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have issues on looking past color as well at times :) LoL it's part of why I ask for brutal evaluations.It's also why I do not get upset when I do get them. I am a complete sucker for a black boer. For me they are hard to judge as easily when I am comparing pics because the blacks always look finer boned in pics than when I am looking at them in the pen. That being said it was a lesson I had to learn when raising chickens.

·
14,760 Posts
Definitely look for best conformation you can get, then look at the color, especially when selecting a buck. I see a lot of colored 'Boer' goats randomly on FB or craigslist and they are not very nice, many don't even look full-blooded or high %.

I totally agree to look at the pedigree and see what kind of color is behind a buck. Even a traditional buck who has color behind him has the potential to throw color - we had that happen this year. We were not expecting any big chances for color and ended up getting it.
From 8 does we got 5 red doe kids, 1 paint doe, 1 traditional, then 7 traditional bucks, and 1 paint buck. We sold a doe bred and she recently had the neatest paint twin doe & buck kids!

1 of our does is solid red out of traditional/paint parents, another is a paint our of traditional/paint parents both of these girls had a single solid red girl each. The rest of our does are traditional with a little color in the pedigree.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
You know Moers those that don’t know that story probablh think your drunk lol
I definitely agree color is not everything. I also don’t bash those that put more stock into it then they do anything else. To each their own. When I found out Boers came in dapples I wanted in on that. Color is definitely more fun then 100 red heads running around. But what got my head out of the clouds was when I realized just how fast color was going to be a hit. Then I wanted something that sets mine apart from the others. Not at all saying I have the best of the best standing out there, but that is my goal. And just as I predicted there are dapples everywhere but there is nothing special about them. They are no longer the rare cool thing here and I’m really happy I came to my senses

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Thats ok..you know the story! I still laugh thinking about it. Goofy Goat and I had fun teasing you.
I would like to know more about color and getting it. I love my trads. But man I would like some variety, just to see if I could get colors,& confirmation. Ive got a start on good bloodlines, now I would like to try colors & improve the bloodlines also. Any help & education in that direction I WOULD APPRECIATE!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts