breeding for milk all year?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by nightshade, May 1, 2008.

1. nightshade

nightshade New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Hubby and I were wondering if it is possible to breed so you can have fresh milk all year. We have a heated place in the barn of little ones and their moms that would be born when it was cold out. So them getting too cold ect. would not be a concern. But I am unsure if you can even breed them to throw in the winter. Is it possible? Some fokes have told us no they wont take, others say yes they will, so I guess I am alittle confused. We have nubians and lamanchas.
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Depends on the breed of Dairy goat I think. I have Nigerian Dwarfs and had kids born the end of the mini's will breed year round though this doe took time off last summer and did not come into heat til early August. I have heard some say that certain breeds come in earlier in the late summer to early fall and others come in late fall to early spring....not sure which ones though....The main ones raised around here are Toggenburgs, Alpine, Nubian....though there are others like Saanen that aren't so popular here. As far as milk year round...well I'm milking 3 mini does and get just about 10 pounds daily from all of them....just me and hubby so I have quite alot going into cheese, butter and ice cream as well as fudge and soap. Right now I have 8 gallons frozen, which I rotate my stock and the first frozen is pulled for cheese before I put the fresh in.

I also don't pull kids... my girls raise their babies til they are sold at 7-8 weaks old, then I start the 4 and 4 milkings.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

most dairy goats are seasonal breeders. However if you stagger breedings you can have milk all year. A dairy doe can milk for ten months of the year before she needs to take a break for having her next kids (or you can milk her through but you more then likely wont get nearly the amount you would if you bred her every year) anyways if you bred one doe in september she would be due in january, if you waited another two months to breed your next doe you could have milk for the two months your first doe wasnt producing. If you have more then two does you can stagger breedings every two to four weeks or even closer depending on how many does you are willing to milk.
    Hope this makes sense
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    With LaManchas, if you have the right lines and are doing good management, they have the ability to have long steady lactations. I had a couple does that I milked through last year, the peaked after kidding at 9 lbs, then leveled off at 8lbs, then during the winter they went down to 7, and when spring came they went back up to 8.5.

Since most does can keep up their production for 10 months, like Beth said you can stagger the breedings so that you can have milk all year long.